Next-Gen

Together Retro: Populous

by noiseredux Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 am

who's playing? Which version?
Gnashvar
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Populous

by Gnashvar Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 am

I've been looking for a version to play with no luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks everyone...
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 am

noiseredux wrote:who's playing?

not me.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:26 am

Well, I never actually played Rayman last month but I do own this game so I'll try to play this month.

I need to look up a guide on how to play, though.

I'll be playing it on the Super Nintendo.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:12 am

I had the Super Nintendo version of this game and sold it because I couldn't stand it. I'll pass.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 am

Nope.avi
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 am

Any word on when the article will be up?
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 pm

It looks like Populous will run on my Tandy 1000. I will see if I can get it to work. Will probably have more fun setting it up than playing it. :lol:

Edit: Hm, needs 512K of ram. Will have to wait until I get some 41256 drams.
Last edited by Hatta on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Ack

by Ack Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 pm

The article should be up soon.

For those of you interested in playing the SNES version, there is a solid guide over at GameFAQs on how to play. I actually played a little yesterday and ended up looking it up for help, as I lack a manual.

Some important things you'll need to know:

First, there are 989 levels in Conquest mode, divided into five different themes. Don't freak out over this though, as you skip levels depending on how well you do.

Second, the AI steadily improves over the course of the first 100 levels, but after that it pretty much taps out. After this, the themes become the big changes to gameplay, as different themes can speed up or slow down mana generation and can kill workers depending on how long they walk around.

Third, the tutorial is basically just a sample level where you can learn the basics. It doesn't actually tell you what they are.

Fourth, you'll need mana for spells and for raising and lowering the landscape. Mana is generated by your people and towns. The better the town, the more mana you earn. Unfortunately the better the town, the less likely it will generate people to go build new towns, so think a bit before going straight to castles.

Now I need to explain a little about the screen in the SNES port. The actual game goes on in the center section in an isometric view. Here you'll watch battles, modify the terrain, kill your enemies, etc. But there's a lot more to the screen. In the upper left is the map, which will help you navigate. The upper right has information on how powerful you are, with two bars set next to a shield showing your population level versus your opponents. It also has a long gold bar with an arrow pointing to it; that's your mana bar. The further to the right it goes, the more mana you have.

Your commands are on the bottom left and bottom right. I'm still not entirely sure what they all do, but I do know that the right side contains your offensive spells, of which earthquake is a personal favorite.

This game will require you to play around a little bit to figure out what you're doing, as just about nothing is explained.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 pm

Return to Together Retro