Together Retro: Rayman

Join in on our classic gaming club!
jfrost
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Rayman

Post by jfrost »

Bought Rayman Forever on GOG a couple of months ago. Good opportunity to play it.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Wow seeing this on the main site and listening to the level select music brought up HUGE nostalgia... now I'm craving to play this again.

In terms of the Jaguar version being the best, I would probably say that's a placebo effect just for the fact it's the "original", considering a lot of gameplay features and sections of levels were cut, as well as it having downgraded music and visual effects. That's just based on what I'm reading though.

I have the DOS version of Rayman, but I would love to play this on a console. It seems like the Saturn version is the best, considering it has everything the Playstation version has plus a *tiny* bit of extra things that push it over the edge. Too bad I don't have a Saturn... though I'm now convinced I have to get one. :)

If you all crave more Rayman after playing the console versions, I suggest trying the custom levels/level designer in Rayman Forever/Gold on the PC. There's an interesting new gameplay mechanic where you must collect all blue tings to pass a level, kind of like Sonic CD with the idea of exploration. There's also different colored tings that trigger different events to occur in the level, ex. collecting a green ting removes a blockade that leads to more blue tings or cages, hitting a red ting triggers enemies to appear etc. Makes the game even more interesting!
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I played on the Saturn some 3 years ago, 1 cc'd it (not trivial I would say) and if I recall collected all items as well (busted all cages etc - but maybe I'm confusing this with Rayman 3 on the GBA where that is more of a goal). So I will give this one a pass. But it is a high quality platformer and it certainly has some challenging parts.

Ivo.
Last edited by Ivo on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatchFiveBats
24-bit

Post by CatchFiveBats »

Will be playing it on Saturn myself, although I'm not sure how much time I'll have since I'm going to be away from home a lot over the next month...
元モー娘。高橋愛推し
If I ever mention Morning Musume/Momusu/Aichan (Takahashi Ai) and you wonder who/what I'm talking about, or if you're curious about who the girl in my avatar is...here and here

My B/S/T Thread

RFGeneration Collection Profile
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

How long is this game? Think I'll just consider getting it off PSN.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I might need to break out the longbox and give it a go. I am still feeling the ass-hurt from Gradius II, though.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

I may have once played the original on PC back in the day, but really don't remember it.

Assuming that I have never before played any entry in this series, what would be the recommended version to go with? I'm leaning towards GBA/DSi/PSP, simply because being able to play on a handheld would work better with my schedule at the moment.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

The GBA version was one of my first GBA games along with Super Mario Advance, but sadly I have since lost/sold it. But I do have the PS1 version, so I will probably play it on my PS3, because for some reasons, many PS1 games are jumpy when played on the tv in my room.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

DinnerX wrote:My copy says windows 3.1. The application however is actually dos and runs in dosbox or windows versions with dos support. I played it a lot on windows 98.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be playing gba emulated instead. Vista has crap backwards compatibility and I really don't feel like using dosbox.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:It wasn't on the list, but I'm playing the DSiWare version. Has a handy little map :D

Aww, I forgot about this version; might pick it up. If I don't get it, I'll end up playing it on the GBA or ps1.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428