Join in on our classic gaming club!
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Dark Forces

by GSZX1337 Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:22 pm

dsheinem wrote: The levels are so varied and so large that I am really quite flabbergasted - most MODERN FPSs could learn more than a few things from this game.

casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:43 pm

I just finally beat Mission 2. :oops:

But I did learn something valuable -- the map is yr friend. I actually got rather good at playing with the map up at all times. KNOWING where the fuck you are certainly seems to make a really big difference. I know I'm lagging behind most everyone else here, but I must say that even as early as the second mission, it's quite obvious that the level design in this game is ridiculously detailed and well thought out.
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:51 pm

dsheinem wrote:I actually disagree - this game has amazing level design - even better than Doom's. A good part of the fun is exploring and fining every noook and cranny to uncover secrets, objectives, etc. The levels are so varied and so large that I am really quite flabbergasted - most MODERN FPSs could learn more than a few things from this game.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I understand what you're getting at, but personally when I play old games I like them to be to-the-point, since the graphics and atmosphere don't grab my attention like in a modern game I tend to be less patient and get frustrated easily. And the first level spoiled me, with its elaborate but fluid design, I never got lost in that one.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:21 pm

NebachadnezzaR wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but I finally discovered what was wrong with DarkXL. The version I downloaded from the site posted earlier in this topic was too old, I searched a bit and found what appears to be the current official site here: http://darkxl.wordpress.com/downloads/

With the most recent version available there it's working like a champ :D

I'm already on mission 4, but I got to say, 2 and 3 were a pain. I hope the game gets more straightforward than this, because just wondering aimlessly throughout the maps is not much fun.

Are you playing the steam version?
I ask because I can't seem to get darkxl to work with it.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm not, sorry :(

I hope I'm not going against the rules by saying this, but since you've already paid for the game, you could just download the old, dos version. Should be fairly easy to find in abandonware sites and the like.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:
NebachadnezzaR wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but I finally discovered what was wrong with DarkXL. The version I downloaded from the site posted earlier in this topic was too old, I searched a bit and found what appears to be the current official site here: http://darkxl.wordpress.com/downloads/

With the most recent version available there it's working like a champ :D

I'm already on mission 4, but I got to say, 2 and 3 were a pain. I hope the game gets more straightforward than this, because just wondering aimlessly throughout the maps is not much fun.

Are you playing the steam version?
I ask because I can't seem to get darkxl to work with it.

You can copy the files to another location. Just go to your SteamApps folder and Ctrl+Drag the files.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Played alot this afternoon, got to level 6. So far 5 has been my favourite, although it can get somewhat confusing towards the end, took me several lives to finally find the right path in the mines, for the most part it's just straight, shooting fun. Large areas, lots of enemies, just run and gun. Top stuff.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:40 pm

dsheinem wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So the beginning of Jabba's level is a real bitch. :evil:

Ok, the start of this level was a bitch but it just makes the level that much better as a whole - it is certainly one of the most memorable from the game and really brings together many of my favorite aspects of DF so far. .

Amusingly I had no problem with the beginning bits where you are, *ahem* underpowered. It's missing the grenades raining down on my head and the damn reptile bounty hunters with that stupid blue gun.

So obviously I finished level 9 - the city and I'm on the Jabba stage. I still haven't found a better weapon than the cutter #6, which I can't use, leaving me with the repeater rifle #5 as my best firepower.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:59 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
dsheinem wrote: The levels are so varied and so large that I am really quite flabbergasted - most MODERN FPSs could learn more than a few things from this game.

Thank you for making literally laugh out loud. :lol:

I'll be picking up the ps1 version shortly and look forward to join in this month.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:01 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:You can copy the files to another location. Just go to your SteamApps folder and Ctrl+Drag the files.

That worked great, I guess the space in the file location name threw the program off.
Thanks!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Return to Together Retro