Join in on our classic gaming club!
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Dark Forces

by SwooshBear Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 pm

noiseredux wrote:I've been stuck on the 2nd mission for a while. I'm not really sure why I'm so stumped. But um. What do I do. I know I have to turn the power on. But I can't find where. When I trigger my map, should there be any indication there? Am I missing something?

It took me awhile as well. The power switch is on a pillar around a pool of water. Once you activate it, the bridge to the pillar spins around. I found it on accident. I disliked this level, too confusing. The hardest part is making your way all the way back to the beginning of the level to end the mission. Hope that helped somehow. It took me about 30 minutes to beat that level.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Half way through now...I hated level 6 but level 7 was awesome fun and more than made up for it. I love the sense of speed you can get in the game when you run - it is very much like in Doom. Looks like I am on an ice planet next, so we'll see how the "sliding" goes. Good times so far.

Is anyone else who is playing anywhere close to as far as me? Further?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I was playing levels 5 and 6 last night. The stupid green shield doors? The one has a switch and the lower one is just random? Granted I don't have a book but that's poor design to me that flashing means active and solid means safe and off. I spent way too much time managing to hit the one while it was active over and over, then looking for a missed switch. So I'll be back in 6 tonight.

Sucks that the fusion cutter gun crashes DarkXL right now. So no weapon upgrade in level 5 for me.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 am

Finished six, the jail. So much better when I'm not all confused about the stupid shield doors. Seven, the smuggler ship. The granade tossers were confusing me until I saw them up above me. Fun level though. Eight , the ice conveyor belt level. Lots of secret stuff in this level which was fun, though the conveyor belt kept throwing me off one of the bends over and over.

Level 9 is pretty big with lots of back and forth it seems. I sure wish I had the mortar gun for all these rounds I"m finding. Still gimped with just the autorifle (5) as the best weapon at this point.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 am

So the beginning of Jabba's level is a real bitch. :evil:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:45 am

dsheinem wrote:So the beginning of Jabba's level is a real bitch. :evil:

Ok, the start of this level was a bitch but it just makes the level that much better as a whole - it is certainly one of the most memorable from the game and really brings together many of my favorite aspects of DF so far. Now that I am done with it, the Jabba level is one of my absolute favorites of the ten levels I have played through. Makes me sad that I only have four left to go :(

Great game! One of my favorite TR titles thus far...
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm having some trouble with this game. I wanted to stick to the pc version since the PS port is supposedly inferior. First I tried it on dosbox, but the control scheme just doesn't cut it for me. Don't know how you guys are playing it, I just put the mouse aside and played keyboard only but the aim is just not responsive enough and overall I don't feel comfortable with it. Then I tried DarkXL, and although the game played very smoothly and the control's a dream, there are no cut-scenes and I can't even finish the first level, when I finish the mission and go to the rooftop the ship just doesn't appear. So I went back to dosbox and got to mission 2, but the damn layout is so confusing and the controls so clunky that I just gave up. Any suggestions? I really wanted to play this one, because I've played Jedi Knight 2 and Academy and loved them both, so going back to where it all started seemed awesome.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:32 pm

NebachadnezzaR wrote:I'm having some trouble with this game. I wanted to stick to the pc version since the PS port is supposedly inferior. First I tried it on dosbox, but the control scheme just doesn't cut it for me. Don't know how you guys are playing it, I just put the mouse aside and played keyboard only but the aim is just not responsive enough and overall I don't feel comfortable with it. Then I tried DarkXL, and although the game played very smoothly and the control's a dream, there are no cut-scenes and I can't even finish the first level, when I finish the mission and go to the rooftop the ship just doesn't appear. So I went back to dosbox and got to mission 2, but the damn layout is so confusing and the controls so clunky that I just gave up. Any suggestions? I really wanted to play this one, because I've played Jedi Knight 2 and Academy and loved them both, so going back to where it all started seemed awesome.

if you have access to the PS1 version, then give that a whirl. I guess the inferiority is graphical (right?) but at least no headaches on setting up or controls, etc. I'm enjoying the PS1 version quite a bit, and I'm not the only one.
NebachadnezzaR
64-bit

by NebachadnezzaR Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I finally discovered what was wrong with DarkXL. The version I downloaded from the site posted earlier in this topic was too old, I searched a bit and found what appears to be the current official site here: http://darkxl.wordpress.com/downloads/

With the most recent version available there it's working like a champ :D

I'm already on mission 4, but I got to say, 2 and 3 were a pain. I hope the game gets more straightforward than this, because just wondering aimlessly throughout the maps is not much fun.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:17 pm

NebachadnezzaR wrote: just wondering aimlessly throughout the maps is not much fun.

I actually disagree - this game has amazing level design - even better than Doom's. A good part of the fun is exploring and fining every noook and cranny to uncover secrets, objectives, etc. The levels are so varied and so large that I am really quite flabbergasted - most MODERN FPSs could learn more than a few things from this game.
Return to Together Retro