Join in on our classic gaming club!
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Dark Forces

by Hatta Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 pm

I wasn't able to figure out how to bind alternate fire to the mouse. It's there in the keyboard configuration, but not in the mouse. Button 2 on the mouse is bound to forward for some reason. Also, I completely unbound the Y axis, now it's much easier to circle strafe.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 pm

For those who dislike not being able to look with the mouse, reason I linked to DarkXL.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 pm

emwearz wrote:For those who dislike not being able to look with the mouse, reason I linked to DarkXL.

I cant seem to get that to work with my steam version... any suggestions?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 am

I'm running Dark Forces retail CD with Dark XL 9.08 on XP Pro. Just some things I ran into to get up and running. I opened up the DRIVE.CD file in my Dark Forces directory with notepad and manually edited to the correct CD drive letter where my disc was. In my DarkXL directory I had to open up DXL_Settings.txt with notepad and tell it the correct path to my Dark Forces install directory since I did not install DF to the default location.

Mouselook up and down does work in Dark XL, but you are limited a bit so you can't look too far up or down. In the second level you must jump over a short wall to continue in the direction where where there are a bunch of enemies. I was getting hung up on the ledge, possibly because I was already standing right next to it.

SpaceBooger wrote:I cant seem to get that to work with my steam version... any suggestions?

I imagine you need to point Dark XL at the correct directory where DF is loacated within the Steam folders.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 am

Hobie-wan wrote:I'm running Dark Forces retail CD with Dark XL 9.08 on XP Pro. Just some things I ran into to get up and running. I opened up the DRIVE.CD file in my Dark Forces directory with notepad and manually edited to the correct CD drive letter where my disc was. In my DarkXL directory I had to open up DXL_Settings.txt with notepad and tell it the correct path to my Dark Forces install directory since I did not install DF to the default location.

Mouselook up and down does work in Dark XL, but you are limited a bit so you can't look too far up or down. In the second level you must jump over a short wall to continue in the direction where where there are a bunch of enemies. I was getting hung up on the ledge, possibly because I was already standing right next to it.

SpaceBooger wrote:I cant seem to get that to work with my steam version... any suggestions?

I imagine you need to point Dark XL at the correct directory where DF is loacated within the Steam folders.

Thanks for the ideas, but none of them work. Ill keep messing around with it though.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:08 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Thanks for the ideas, but none of them work. Ill keep messing around with it though.

How does it not work? Before I sorted out the DarkXL pointing to the right place, it would simply open and close immediately. Maybe need to set XP compatibility mode if you're on Vista or higher?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm

alienjesus wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:I have the PSX, PC and Mac OS9 versions. One of the advantages of this old iMac G3, it supports both OSX and OS9. Not sure which would be the best to play though.

PC Controls, Joystick, Keyboard and Mouse:

This is exactly why I hate PC games. That looks horrendous.

(I know this might be a bit late)
You do know that those were controls for a PC game that's almost twenty years old, right? A modern PC Game (or Dark Forces through DarkXL) would be much more streamlined.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:
alienjesus wrote:This is exactly why I hate PC games. That looks horrendous.

(I know this might be a bit late)
You do know that those were controls for a PC game that's almost twenty years old, right? A modern PC Game (or Dark Forces through DarkXL) would be much more streamlined.

Also that was showing the options for keyboard control only, keyboard and mouse, or keyboard and 1 of 2 different joysticks. That would be like a console game showing you how to play a game with a gamepad, joystick, or move/kinect/wiimote. Controlling the game isn't the clusterfuck it appears from those manual pages. But yes, DarkXL makes it control more like a modern FPS.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:11 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:Thanks for the ideas, but none of them work. Ill keep messing around with it though.

How does it not work? Before I sorted out the DarkXL pointing to the right place, it would simply open and close immediately. Maybe need to set XP compatibility mode if you're on Vista or higher?

I have the txt file pointing to the right place but did nothing with the .cd file because there is no CD for the steam version. So I really don't know what to try next and I don't know how it does not work.
BLOG | BST
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been stuck on the 2nd mission for a while. I'm not really sure why I'm so stumped. But um. What do I do. I know I have to turn the power on. But I can't find where. When I trigger my map, should there be any indication there? Am I missing something?
Return to Together Retro