Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

by noiseredux Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:48 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:I'm pretty much at the same point. I'm really enjoying this game so far but I despise the limited inventory. I feel like I'm always throwing away items I'll need later. Does anyone know if there is a way to combine like items?

there is not. Sadly. So if you use up Serene's scythe for instance, and you don't find another, then you need to Practice so that she can master another weapon instead.
Last edited by noiseredux on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:22 am

i actually just finished playing through this game recently, and wrote up some comments today on my blog. rather than cut and paste the whole thing into here, hopefully no one objects to me just posting the link: http://geozeldadude.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/riviera-the-unfulfilled-promised-land/. although i enjoyed it overall, i'm curious to see if people have similar reactions to the ones in my long litany of complaints.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:35 am

I am about 5hrs in and just beat the dragon that keeps blowing the party off of the roof.
I know that I should be farther along for playing 5hrs, but because of my two kids often cause me to put the game down for 5-10min AND I have been doing a lot of practice battles because it's not too time consuming.
So I guess I am wondering how far back am I for being at the 5hr mark?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 am

SpaceBooger wrote:I am about 5hrs in and just beat the dragon that keeps blowing the party off of the roof.
I know that I should be farther along for playing 5hrs, but because of my two kids often cause me to put the game down for 5-10min AND I have been doing a lot of practice battles because it's not too time consuming.

I think I beat that part around 3 hrs actually. But Practice battles are good (the equivalent of grinding). I don't Practice enough.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 pm

noiseredux wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I am about 5hrs in and just beat the dragon that keeps blowing the party off of the roof.

I think I beat that part around 3 hrs actually. But Practice battles are good (the equivalent of grinding). I don't Practice enough.

Ok so I'm real behind. I'm just over 7hrs and just got Serene to join my party.

The reason I am behind is that I practice so much that every character masters every weapon they can. For example I just got Serene and before I traveled off the screen where she joins, she mastered her scythe, the rapier, Iron Sword, and the FlameSomethingOrOther.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:16 am

SpaceBooger wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

Ok so I'm real behind. I'm just over 7hrs and just got Serene to join my party.

The reason I am behind is that I practice so much that every character masters every weapon they can. For example I just got Serene and before I traveled off the screen where she joins, she mastered her scythe, the rapier, Iron Sword, and the FlameSomethingOrOther.

I'm pretty much at the same time as you and doing the same thing. Cierra took forever to level up with everything I had. My two girls cause me to stop as well.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 am

you guys are patient. But that's probably good. Slow & steady wins the race. I'm more like "oh shit, the scythe broke -- better teach her how to use something else now!"
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:57 am

i really think practice battling to the max stats really breaks the difficulty of the game and makes battles trivially easy. i realize now that not practicing at all gives you too much of a disadvantage, but even still it made the game a lot more fun for me.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 am

geozeldadude wrote:i really think practice battling to the max stats really breaks the difficulty of the game and makes battles trivially easy. i realize now that not practicing at all gives you too much of a disadvantage, but even still it made the game a lot more fun for me.

I certainly see that but it also allows me to get rid of certain items I no longer need and pick up new things. For me item management becomes more important than the skills increases.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:29 am

jmbarnes101 wrote:
geozeldadude wrote:i really think practice battling to the max stats really breaks the difficulty of the game and makes battles trivially easy. i realize now that not practicing at all gives you too much of a disadvantage, but even still it made the game a lot more fun for me.

I certainly see that but it also allows me to get rid of certain items I no longer need and pick up new things. For me item management becomes more important than the skills increases.

that's actually a really good point. I keep opening every treasure chest I find hoping to get items I need -- but most of the time it's a trap! Really I should just be doing practice battles to get new items. Thanks!
Return to Together Retro