Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

by noiseredux Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:26 am

geozeldadude wrote:
noiseredux wrote:um Red Alter wants an Ankh? I don't have any? Something about draining the lake? I don't know how to proceed.

ugh. that section was annoying. you have to find all the ankhs by battling the spirits or whatever that appear by the gravestones.

gravestones?
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:37 pm

noiseredux wrote:gravestones?

It is a cemetery, there are some graves around :)

Ivo.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Ivo wrote:
noiseredux wrote:gravestones?

It is a cemetery, there are some graves around :)

Ivo.

is it? I'm not remember right, maybe. But I went down a well. So I'm like a cave under the well. The next screen is a body of water too deep to pass.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:39 pm

it sounds like you missed something and may need to backtrack. if they're asking you for an ankh and you don't have any you can't progress. you need 6 ankhs.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:43 pm

geozeldadude wrote:it sounds like you missed something and may need to backtrack. if they're asking you for an ankh and you don't have any you can't progress. you need 6 ankhs.

I think this is what happened, but I think I'm stuck and not able to backtrack. I'll try again with fresh eyes/brain tonight I'm sure.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:49 pm

I picked this up on ebay today for under a tenner CIB. Looking forward to catching with it via SP and Micro on bus journeys soon :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:50 pm

if I stumble upon the PSP version for cheap, I'll probably grab it to compare/contrast the two ports.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:34 am

noiseredux wrote:
geozeldadude wrote:it sounds like you missed something and may need to backtrack. if they're asking you for an ankh and you don't have any you can't progress. you need 6 ankhs.

I think this is what happened, but I think I'm stuck and not able to backtrack. I'll try again with fresh eyes/brain tonight I'm sure.

I went there first too, you can backtrack. Theres an area just before that leads to that, and also two seperate areas containing 3 tombstones each. Thats where you get the ankhs.

The damn puzzle with them is more irritating though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:53 am

alienjesus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

I went there first too, you can backtrack. Theres an area just before that leads to that, and also two seperate areas containing 3 tombstones each. Thats where you get the ankhs.

The damn puzzle with them is more irritating though.

yep. I backtracked. Seems like a maze. I'm not thrilled about mazes.
Urban Champion-e
8-bit

by Urban Champion-e Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:55 am

I beat it about a week ago. I think I was too mean to all the girls as I got an ending not geared towards any of them. I enjoyed it and it made a car ride with my buddy down to Charleston seem like no time. Too bad I don't own an SP so I wasn't able to play it on the way back in the dark. Inebriated Riviera playing after a house show would have been interesting though (on second thought that seems like a terrible idea).

I wrote about two pages of observations, raves, and critiques but seeing not many have finished it yet and others are just about to begin their journey through the promised land, I deleted all that and will share my thoughts at the end of the month.

I had fun playing the game and suggest any interested parties play through the whole thing. I leveled up all my weapons and wrote down all the stats in a notebook so that I could put together Riviera dream teams. This tacked on some extra hours on my end and resulted in a 31 hour game for me. So yeah, this game has it's pros and cons for sure. I just started playing Mother 3 (translated of course) and can already tell it's going to be the more well rounded game (not that there was going to ever be a question about that).

I'll show you the power of magic! Cinder Squall!
Don't be jealous I'm 8-bit all you Next-Gens!
Return to Together Retro