Join in on our classic gaming club!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

by alienjesus Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 pm

So I just finished chapter 4. The bosses are causing me a few problems now. The 2nd accursed I ran almost ran out of weapons on (I use my last item that could hurt it to kill it) although that was my own fault for choosing rubbish stuff. The third one wiped out Ein and Serene from full health in a single Max Attack. Luckily Fia survived and I had some pretty crazy weapons to finish off the rest of its health with.

Im enjoying this game, but I must say it's getting a bit repeptitive now. I should probably pace myself more though, I have done 4 chapters in 3 days.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm about 11.5 hours into it now. I just saw fought the 2nd dragon that uses Gail Wind on you and I'm entering the Colosseum. Finally found some new weapons, so I was able to really grind a bit in practice mode. Still enjoying it though I've been very distracted with new PS1 and PS2 purchases as well.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:34 pm

I have been sinking most of my time into Pier Solar, but have been playing Riviera too.
I cant seem to beat the first accursed (the one where you get your diviner working again.)
I realized I just need to stall until the diviner is reinstated but man... I have lost the battle to the accursed at least 3 times (I restart after Ein dies.)
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:47 am

SpaceBooger wrote:I have been sinking most of my time into Pier Solar, but have been playing Riviera too.
I cant seem to beat the first accursed (the one where you get your diviner working again.)
I realized I just need to stall until the diviner is reinstated but man... I have lost the battle to the accursed at least 3 times (I restart after Ein dies.)

yeah I found that battle really hard too. But you do realize that every time you RETRY a battle you start with the enemy with a little less life and your attack meter a little higher right? So actually the battle gets easier every time you retry. The problem is retrying lowers your grade (so you won't be rewarded TP) and you won't receive any items.
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 am

noiseredux wrote:The problem is retrying lowers your grade (so you won't be rewarded TP) and you won't receive any items.

while i found this to be a helpful feature, it was also really annoying. i wish you could choose if you wanted the handicap or not.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:59 am

Use Fia and a coral staff to help keep his health up. Hopefully you have some applecots or herbs or something to heal with too. I didn't find that guy too hard. I did find it wierd that you need to get Eins sword working again though, because it didnt matter for the 2nd and 3rd Accursed. The 3rd accursed seemed pretty crazy to me though, it did so much damage to me even though I've mastered plenty of weapons. I guess I should've used Cierra, because its magic wiped out Ein and Serena in one turn.

The games going a bit nuts with weapons for Fia atm. She was starting to lag a bit last chapter but since then I picked up a whole bunch of crazy powerful swords which do more with their normalattack (which only she can use, and there are no special moves with them) then everyone else does with a special move. They're all fairly limited use, but they're so powerful and I have so many weapons anyway that that's really not an issue.

I also got a cool item called Mr. Bat III which does 5 powerful attacks with serene and heals the entire party. I keep stockpiling these awesome weapons though, I really should use them more :?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Anyhow, I beat this game today. I got the ending with Fia.

I missed a few of the items that unlock extra features, so if I want the CG collection, voice test or high score I'll need to play through again. I got the face collection, item manual, sound test, and extra chapter though.

Seeing as the months still not out, I'll probably play through the extra chapter sometime soon. After that I'll be taking a break, as I don't fancy going through the game again for a different ending quite yet :roll:

Still, I obviously enjoyed it a fair amount, it grew on me over time. The battle system didn't become too boring as quickly as I thought it would, although it was the interaction with the environment and characters I enjoyed the most. Certainly interested in trying Yggdra Union and Knights in the Nightmare sometime, even if they are very different. How does the story connect? Is it a same universe/different story scenario??
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 pm

wow good for you AJ! Yr the first of us to beat it this month. :)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:10 am

noiseredux wrote:wow good for you AJ! Yr the first of us to beat it this month. :)

Thanks. It took me 23 hours overall, if you guys want an estimate at how long it will take you.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 am

alienjesus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:wow good for you AJ! Yr the first of us to beat it this month. :)

Thanks. It took me 23 hours overall, if you guys want an estimate at how long it will take you.

oh actually that's kind of cool. I think I"m around 12 hrs now, so I guess about halfway (and it's just about halfway thru the month, so good)
Return to Together Retro