Join in on our classic gaming club!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

by CFFJR Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:20 am

Well, I've given this game a shot over a couple of days.

It was a really rocky start. I've never had a tutorial treat me like a fool before (it repeated itself so many times it felt like I was watching some meandering children's "educational" show) and it was very slow going at the beginning. I understand the importance of tutorials and really don't mind them at all, but please don't condescend to me you know? I got it the first time.

With that and the opening in general not being much fun, the game bored me enough that I took a couple days away from it, and had to force myself to play tonight.

However, once the game opened up and finally let me play around a bit, including the practice mode, I've finally learned how the experience system works, and I've gotta say this game is fun! Now, I had to force myself to stop.

Maybe the practice fights do break the game (I've just begun and its already noticeable :lol: ), but I love them just the same. I find myself upgrading every item I can find, whether I might use it or not, just because the stat boosts on mastery are so deliciously addictive.

I'm still very early on, because practicing has slowed me down a good deal, but I'm really looking forward to the rest of this game. Fun stuff.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 am

CFFJR wrote:However, once the game opened up and finally let me play around a bit, including the practice mode, I've finally learned how the experience system works, and I've gotta say this game is fun! Now, I had to force myself to stop.

another satisfied Together Retro participant! :)
Wibblefish

by Wibblefish Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 am

I know I really haven't done a very good job of keeping up with or participating in Together Retro so far, but this time you happened to pick a game that I'm already (re)playing. I bought and completed the GBA version when it came out and loved every minute, and towards the end of last year I also bought the PSP version on PSN and am now loving it even more for its gorgeous hi res 16:9 artwork and voiceovers. I love this game so much that I picked up the PSP version of Yggdra Union as well over the Christmas hols and look forward to getting into that once I'm done with Riviera.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm

I have all of the party members now I reckon, so what team is everyone using? I'm sticking with Fia most of the time because the ehaling is handy, an she's pretty quick so can get lots of attacks in too. Im not much taken by Serene or Cierra so far though - they're so slow, even after mastering weapons! I'm using Cierra a lot at the minute because she uses similar weapons to ein and fia, and I can bring in items other than weapons to battle that way. I think I prefer Lina over her in general though due to her speed, but she uses some diferent weapon types so she doesn't mesh as well.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:50 pm

alienjesus wrote:I have all of the party members now I reckon, so what team is everyone using? I'm sticking with Fia most of the time because the ehaling is handy, an she's pretty quick so can get lots of attacks in too. Im not much taken by Serene or Cierra so far though - they're so slow, even after mastering weapons! I'm using Cierra a lot at the minute because she uses similar weapons to ein and fia, and I can bring in items other than weapons to battle that way. I think I prefer Lina over her in general though due to her speed, but she uses some diferent weapon types so she doesn't mesh as well.

I use Fia and Cierra usually. I like Cierra more than Lina because Cierra can use bow & arrow as well, but also her special attacks use magic. Fia heals?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 pm

noiseredux wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I have all of the party members now I reckon, so what team is everyone using? I'm sticking with Fia most of the time because the ehaling is handy, an she's pretty quick so can get lots of attacks in too. Im not much taken by Serene or Cierra so far though - they're so slow, even after mastering weapons! I'm using Cierra a lot at the minute because she uses similar weapons to ein and fia, and I can bring in items other than weapons to battle that way. I think I prefer Lina over her in general though due to her speed, but she uses some diferent weapon types so she doesn't mesh as well.

I use Fia and Cierra usually. I like Cierra more than Lina because Cierra can use bow & arrow as well, but also her special attacks use magic. Fia heals?

Fia's basic attacks with staves and books are healing spells. Staves heal the lowest hp character in you party, books heal everyone.

Once Cierra's finished mastering stuff, I think I'm going to go for Lina again. When I have them in a party together Lina attacks more than twice as often, so I think I prefer that.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:07 pm

ah, I have no books or staves. I don't know why but I'm having a tough time getting hold of useful weapons.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

I only had one book for a short time, then I fell in a swamp and it stopped working :lol:

I try and keep hold of staves though. Thats another reason I'm less keen on Cierra - her best weapon is using up my healing spells!
geozeldadude
32-bit

by geozeldadude Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am

i thought lina was incredibly useful. her super moves are pretty powerful. serene can be useful since her main weapon attacks the whole front row. if you don't have staves or books to heal, bring one food item into battle and then you can focus on using fia's attacks which are also pretty good.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 am

geozeldadude wrote:i thought lina was incredibly useful. her super moves are pretty powerful. serene can be useful since her main weapon attacks the whole front row. if you don't have staves or books to heal, bring one food item into battle and then you can focus on using fia's attacks which are also pretty good.

Fia's just proving to be a brilliant all rounder for me. Healing with the staves is handy in a pinch, and despite me not having rapiers atm, shes proving pretty powerful swinging around the ice lance and flamberg swords I currently have - in fact, she does more damage than anyone else does when she uses the lance, even Ein. She also seems to reliably take damage better than everyone else (shes takes less and has more hp too), and is my 2nd fastest character after Lina.

Maybe I've just had her master more stuff, but honestly, I don;t think I have. Maybe things'll change as the game goes on?

Lina seems pretty good too, but she doesn't use as convenient weapons. She does share a lot of weapons with Serene though, so I guess I should use them together more. I didnt realise Serene's scythe was a front row attacking weapon (i should pay more attention) so I miht try her out again. I still dont like Cierra much though, shes too slow.

Anyhow, I finished chapter 3 last night. I also seem to have triggered the hot spring scene, by grabbing a feather or something at the end of chapter 3.:S. Im ignoring it anyway (I dont want the minus points with anyone) and moving on to chapter 4 now.
Return to Together Retro