Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

Post by noiseredux »

Urban Champion-e wrote:Hello everyone. Going to start the new year off right and take part in my first Together Retro. Heading to my parents house in a couple of hours to eat the traditional Southern new years day meal of collards and black-eyed peas (symbolizes dollars and cents) and just checked online to find out that a Gamestop along the way has Riviera on GBA for $5.99. Score.

awesome man! Glad that you'll be joining in!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

How long is the game, anyway?
Hateshinai
128-bit

Post by Hateshinai »

I never heard of this game. I think I'll give it a shot.
Mostly harmless
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

oh good Racket put up the article on the main page!
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

The game never really appealed to me when I first played it back in 2005. The GBA has a ton of great RPGs to begin with, all without dating sim elements which I strongly dislike.

Maybe my tastes were influenced by the fact I tried it on emulator rather than hardware. I'll definitely throw this on my flashcart and see how I like it now.

If I find I have enough to say about it good or bad, I'll review Riviera for my blog. Noiseredux, how long is the game, and more to the point, how long should I play it before really experiencing the meat of it? Some RPGs like Golden Sun took a lonnnnnnnnnng time to unveil and a review based on the first few hours wouldn't do the game justice.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:all without dating sim elements which I strongly dislike.

I really think the "dating sim" thing is very over-exaggerated. It's really not like you're trying to date anyone, you're just trying to make your party like/trust you (similar to The Thing on PS2 -- which you wouldn't say was heavy on the dating sim genre).
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

I was on chapter 3 or 4 on my current file. Whichever dungeon starts flooding when you enter. I remember my problem being that I was a cheap bastard with items, and stockpiled so many I'd start throwing everything out.

I forgot, does training consume turns? I know it doesn't drain item usage, so I would level everybody up with that weapon and then go nuts.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Cronson
64-bit

Post by Cronson »

I'm definitely down for this game. I'll pick up the PSP version.
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

I'm going to give it a try. I will be playing via emulation. Sunday seems like a quiet day to start. Any advice before starting?
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

joehero wrote:I'm going to give it a try. I will be playing via emulation. Sunday seems like a quiet day to start. Any advice before starting?

Always end with a bang for maximum scores. My team was Ein, Lina, and Cierra. I used Fia for a while, but stopped when I didn't have any rapiers. Your party will highly depend on what items you have to spare. Hence why Ein has an unbreakable weapon.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw