Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Urban Champion-e
8-bit

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

Post by Urban Champion-e »

I'm 14 hours deep into this game and am very much enjoying it. I feel pretty immersed in it and had to make myself take a break. This morning I started writing all the weapons stats in a notebook and it has greatly helped me keep track of what works with who and have set up quite a few power teams. I've got about 4 pages of written weapon stats. This coupled with the PSP manual I found (see my earlier post) has greatly helped me out since I know what all the numbers mean now. Anybody who is early on in the game is probably going to be frustrated. I know I was. I say stick with it. I think it's pretty cool especially once you get the hang of it.
Don't be jealous I'm 8-bit all you Next-Gens!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Finally beat The Accursed.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Just picked up a copy today on a complete fluke find. I'll be starting tomorrow. :D
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
PixelPixii
32-bit

Post by PixelPixii »

I am really excited because this will be my first month participating in Together Retro! I borrowed a copy of this from a friend and will play it on their GBA. Just spent 1/2 an hour playing and it certainly is different! Going to try to stick with it.

nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Ok, so I tried this for a half an hour on PSP earlier today...found it so boring and convoluted that I actually fell asleep while playing! Does it get better anytime soon?

yes. 1/2 hour is nothing. Give it at least an hour to be fair D. Maybe it's just not yr cup of tea, but still AT LEAST an hour.

EDIT: I do kind of feel like you went into it expecting to not like it btw, which will make a difference...

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to give it another shot though when i get some time. My problem is that I just think this isn't a game for me? I'm kind of crazy bored.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

obviously we're not all going to like every TR game. But the point of the club is to expose everyone to games they wouldn't normally pick up on their own. I think it's good to at least give it fair shot (and by fair I mean more than one try). Even if you don't end up liking it, at least you can be like "alright well I played it for x hours and here's why I didn't enjoy it..."

plus sometimes you get surprised. I found the first hour of Phantasy Star really boring. And then the rest of the game blew my mind. The first few times I tried Tempest I thought I hated it. By the end of the month I thought it was great.
nickfil
Next-Gen

Post by nickfil »

noiseredux wrote:obviously we're not all going to like every TR game. But the point of the club is to expose everyone to games they wouldn't normally pick up on their own. I think it's good to at least give it fair shot (and by fair I mean more than one try). Even if you don't end up liking it, at least you can be like "alright well I played it for x hours and here's why I didn't enjoy it..."

plus sometimes you get surprised. I found the first hour of Phantasy Star really boring. And then the rest of the game blew my mind. The first few times I tried Tempest I thought I hated it. By the end of the month I thought it was great.

Completely agree. It's why I'm giving it a few more trys before I give up. I think that part of the problem is that I hate hate hate tutorials in jrpgs. It kicks me right out of the game. I have to play it at least last the first couple hours.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

noiseredux wrote:
jmbarnes101 wrote:
geozeldadude wrote:i really think practice battling to the max stats really breaks the difficulty of the game and makes battles trivially easy. i realize now that not practicing at all gives you too much of a disadvantage, but even still it made the game a lot more fun for me.

I certainly see that but it also allows me to get rid of certain items I no longer need and pick up new things. For me item management becomes more important than the skills increases.

that's actually a really good point. I keep opening every treasure chest I find hoping to get items I need -- but most of the time it's a trap! Really I should just be doing practice battles to get new items. Thanks!

Most items either come from the treasure chests after you disarm the trap, from battles, picking up things and trading key items back between stages.

I don't like that roulette treasure chest since I rarely don't get what I'm after.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

how can I increase a characters max HP?
PixelPixii
32-bit

Post by PixelPixii »

Completely agree. It's why I'm giving it a few more trys before I give up. I think that part of the problem is that I hate hate hate tutorials in jrpgs. It kicks me right out of the game. I have to play it at least last the first couple hours.

I am the opposite. I actually enjoy a tutorial sometimes, especially in a game like this that is really different than any rpg I have ever played. If I don't understand how the game works I get really unmotivated. Fast. With a tutorial it is nice and lets me believe I have a better grasp on what is going on.

It has always really interested me how every gamer likes something different.