Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Riviera The Promised Land

Post by Ivo »

I only started recently, and I'm upset that I need to keep throwing items away. Maybe I missed the chance to store them at the house?

Guess not, having read the thread. I always worry that I might throw away an item that another party member cold use to skill up.

Ivo.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ivo wrote:I only started recently, and I'm upset that I need to keep throwing items away. Maybe I missed the chance to store them at the house?

Guess not, having read the thread. I always worry that I might throw away an item that another party member cold use to skill up.

Ivo.

If you hit R you can see which items give characters skills and whos learnt them when you're choosing what to toss. I never threw away anything that could potentially level me up.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

alienjesus wrote:
If you hit R you can see which items give characters skills and whos learnt them when you're choosing what to toss. I never threw away anything that could potentially level me up.

I know that, but I'm expecting more people will join the party and I can not guess which items will skill up the others.

Ivo.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Ah, that makes sense.

Anyhow, I beat the extra 'chapter' today. It wasn't so much a chapter as a pretty lame extra boss fight. The boss took plenty of damage from everyone and wasnt too hard to beat. If you keep your health up, he doesn't stand a chance.

It's weird mechanics used for it too. You get a preset inventory of really powerful weapons and items and your characters have different stats to what they have in game. They were actually a fair amount weaker than my character were even when I unlocked the extra chapter in the game, and they had weird, unlikely stats sets - for example, serene has less attack than Ein, when she beat the game with WAY more attack then everyone else.

Besides that little disappointing extra 'chapter' I've enjoyed my time with this game. Looking forward to relaxing with a different genre game for a bit now before I get stuck into Golden Sun 3 later on.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I think it is one of the best RPGs I played.

No random encounters! Good battle system. Interesting and original level-up system and coupled together with not that much grinding (although you can, in the practice battles).
The mini-games are fun as well, and you are not terribly disadvantaged if you lose.

I'm interested in the auto-heal after battle end as well. It is neat as in other games you can many times do this at the cost of wasting time heading to a place where you get healed or using a party member with huge stores of mana - they just short-cut to getting you prepared to the next fight without bothering.

These devs knew what they were doing.

IMO the game would be a good bit better if it let you keep as many items as you wanted, but some may disagree with me and I'll trust the devs decision is possibly good for most people, even though I'm absolutely certain that for me it is really annoying worrying if I'm throwing out something irreplaceable that I would like to have later.

Ivo.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

Ivo wrote:I'm interested in the auto-heal after battle end as well.

i agree that this was one thing i really liked about the game.

Ivo wrote:IMO the game would be a good bit better if it let you keep as many items as you wanted

i felt the same way at first, b/c in games i'm usu. a hoarder. but i got used to it pretty quickly, and the fact that you're so limited adds to the strategy and forces you to use weapons you would otherwise have ignored.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

11.5 hrs in... I'm entering Area 4-5 (Aura Plateaus)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

12.5 hrs... 4-7 (Mizel Bridge)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm at the 2nd Accursed now (Archangel)... wtf?

EDIT: Beat her, but it wasn't easy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:I'm at the 2nd Accursed now (Archangel)... wtf?

I thought the Archangel was the third accursed. Tip - Lightning resistance really helps. Serene and Ein died in one Max attack from the archangel for me, I ended up fighting half the battle with just Fia.