Together Retro: Tempest

Join in on our classic gaming club!
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Tempest

Post by sevin0seven »

Hobie-wan wrote:You do have to shoot quickly. If the spike is too long you won't be able to break it down fast enough.

yep. i was doing this on the jaguar port most of the time. :P

i did it a few times with the gba port also..
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I've just been playing Atari's Greatest Hits Volume 1 for the DS and it has an option to use the stylus on Tempest (and some other games) that is actually kind of fun. The stylus is a much better than a d-pad for moving around the web, but unfortunately the set-up for shooting and using the superzapper leaves something to be desired. You shoot with the a button or the shoulder buttons and the b button is the superzapper. Would probably work great if you're left handed, but if you use the stylus with your right hand hitting the superzapper is very awkward. A great option would be to fire with the d-pad and use the shoulder button as a superzapper, but the set-up is not customizable. Still fun, though.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm sure everyone saw, but I did add a post about Tempest to my blog.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:I'm sure everyone saw, but I did add a post about Tempest to my blog.
Nice review! I have got to dig out all the console Tempest editions and see if any have an undocumented Trakball or driving wheel option. I'll be following up with a unique post soon my self.

I'm playing around with Tempest, Omega Race and Tac Scan with my new Arcade Spinner Mod. There are a few hundred Trakball Mame games listed, maybe a 3rd of them can work with the Spinner. :mrgreen:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Initial Spinner run on PC Mame Tempest

Score: 70401.

Man I need practice!

EDIT
Okay, score is now 116946
Getting the hang of the Spinner. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Mame Tempest 12-29-2010.jpg
Mame Tempest 12-29-2010.jpg (151.38 KiB) Viewed 1372 times
Arcade Controller Mod 23.jpg
Arcade Controller Mod 23.jpg (252.65 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

updated OP high scores! :D
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

I only have tempest 2000. Geat game, I might have a go at the original later.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ok, so I decided to pop in Tempest X3 tonight, which is of course the PS1 port of Tempest 2000. Turns out I'm way better at this game than the original Tempest. My high score ON MY VERY FIRST TRY: 159867. That's right. A higher score than all the scores we kept for the month when we all played this. On my first try!

As much as I liked the simplicity and challenge of Tempest, I can really see why people went so gaga over 2000/X3. This game is amazing. I love it. I have a feeling I'm going to get a whole lot better at it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:Ok, so I decided to pop in Tempest X3 tonight, which is of course the PS1 port of Tempest 2000. Turns out I'm way better at this game than the original Tempest. My high score ON MY VERY FIRST TRY: 159867. That's right. A higher score than all the scores we kept for the month when we all played this. On my first try!

As much as I liked the simplicity and challenge of Tempest, I can really see why people went so gaga over 2000/X3. This game is amazing. I love it. I have a feeling I'm going to get a whole lot better at it.
I see a Smart Joy Frag or a Nyco Trakball will be your purchase later on. :lol:

Wait till you google the cheats.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CRTGAMER wrote:I see a Smart Joy Frag or a Nyco Trakball will be your purchase later on. :lol:

will the Nyko work on this?