Together Retro: Tempest

Join in on our classic gaming club!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Tempest

Post by CRTGAMER »

dsheinem wrote:What percentage of your posts link to your other posts? It's starting to seem spam-like...

it's nothing personal, but I've started expecting it and just skimming your posts of late :(
Sorry, didn't mean it as such. Just showing related information, in this case for anyone that didn't know about the eventual 5200 Tempest release. Easier to link then typing out the info again. I didn't know it was annoying, I removed the link, but its still showing in your reply.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Alright well I finally figured out how to play this game. I was trying to sort of go slow, aim my shots carefully. It helps to be way more chaotic and fast and always moving.

HIGH SCORE: 16406
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the post is up on the main page.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I played a bit last night with my X-arcade trackball. It's actually quite good for it. I played maybe a dozen games and got a high score of around 13k.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I just realized something awesome... if you press SELECT on the Atari Anniversary version (GBA) the screen will switch from landscape to portrait, so that you can play it more like the arcade dimensions. So if yr playing this through a GBPlayer on an LCD that you can easily turn on its side... 8)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

HIGH SCORE: 18865

...I'm getting the hang of this! 8)
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I just got a spinner a couple months ago, so I'll have to give Tempest 2000 a go. It redeems the Jaguar by itself.

I also have Tempest 3000 for the Nuon. It's good, but afaik while it was programmed with a rotary controller option, no one has ever built a Nuon spinner; not even a homebrew one.

The Jag version using an s-video cable and a rotary controller is the optimum Tempest experience. Expensive though!
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

I loved this game as a kid. Friends and I would walk to the local A&W get rootbeer floats and plug this game full of quarters. It was a cool cocktail cab. I have it on my mame and also have a spinner. Im going to play it a little tonight. High Scores to come!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I had originally planned to get a NES Arkanoid Vaus spinner and use the Retrousb NES-to-GCN adapter to play the GBA port, but after months of research and the help of CRTGamer, it was determined that this setup wouldn't actually work. :?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I used to work for a video editing company witch used Griffin Powermate jog wheels at each powermac:
They were lots of fun for playing pong. Better than the official atari 2600 pong paddles actually. With an MSRP under fifty bucks, it's not out of range for a MAME gamer on a budget. I wish I still had one of these today, because I've never played tempest.

I'm considering buying one now. In the interest of thrift, I might just try using my trackball as a spinner. Come to think of it, I have one of those atari pong paddles (the type with two paddle controllers connected to one 9-pin interface). Can I connect that to a serial port on an old PC?