Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro: NBA Jam

by SpaceBooger Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 am

Ok, so what is the best port?
I can play Sega CD or PS1... I spent a lot of time playing the OG Genesis title back in the day.

Edit: Never mind I'm gona play the MAME version on my arcade cab.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
nutbar
8-bit

by nutbar Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 am

I'm on my SNES with NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. It's been years since I fired up this game. I usually play as Chicago or Houston, if I recall correctly.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:52 am

I added a post to my blog outlining the series' history on the GB line.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 am

So I fired up the PS1 and 32X versions of the T.E. game, as both are relatively new to me. My initial thoughts:

PS1 version - The game looks absolutely gorgeous, especially running on an HD screen through the PS3. This is easily the most arcade-perfect version of the game, and everything looks exactly as it should. The bad: no music during the actual gameplay (!), long loading screens, an awkward save system, and most importantly for me - awkward controls. Using a shoulder button for turbo just seems counter-intuitive to me, and although there are options to do some remapping, none of them appeal. I will try using an arcade stick later to see if maybe I can come up with a config that feels more authentic to the arcade.

32X version - Visually this pales in comparison to the PS1 port, but it shines over the Genesis version. Excellent scaling and improved visuals all around make this the best 16-bit era port of the game. Best of all, everything I liked from the Genesis version - the music, the perfect controls, and the quick transitions between screens - are all intact. Unless I can get a good config working for the PS1 port, this will be my go to version of NBA Jam this month.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Edit: Never mind I'm gona play the MAME version on my arcade cab.

i have many ports of this game but that's seems to be the best version to play it. i'll be doing the same with my mini n..e...cab.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:04 pm

I used to play this back in the day and it is great. I agree that even people that avoid sports games should at least give it a try.

Ivo.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:21 pm

My favorite versions of NBA Jam: Sega CD overall w SNES being my second.

Tounament addition its a tie between the Jaguar and Saturn versions.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
nutbar
8-bit

by nutbar Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Anyone notice how hilariously tiny John Stockton (Utah Jazz) is in this game? He's a hand puppet!
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:02 pm

nutbar wrote:Anyone notice how hilariously tiny John Stockton (Utah Jazz) is in this game? He's a hand puppet!

i also notice he can dunk on anyone. :P
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 pm

I was trying to get the SNES versions to run on my EZ Flash, but I'm having a lot of issues for some reason. For now, I"m playing the original GB port -- which if you read my blog post you'd know is in fact probably the best of the five Game Boy iterations.
Return to Together Retro