Together Retro: NBA Jam

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: NBA Jam

Post by noiseredux »

I've figured out a pretty comfortable way to play the GB version using a standard GCN controller (or Wavebird :wink: )

left thumb is obviously rocking the D-Pad, and then right hand goes like this:

pointer finger - START - Turbo
middle finger - B - Shoot/Block
ring finger - A - Pass/Steal
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

on second thought, I just realized that the START button (Turbo) is always within reach of my left hand if I use my Hori stick............ the GB port just got way better to me.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I played this so many times. I have the T.E. version on my Genesis. Me and a buddy used to play it a lot. In fact, I recently talked to him on facebook after not seeing him in years and this was one of the first things he brought up lol. I might fire it up again. I'm pretty sure I'd pick it right back up just like riding a bike.

I don't like sports games, but I've found titles like this, Sega Soccer Slam, SSX Tricky and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater to be very accesible and addicting. Those are some of the very few sports related games I own
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

There is only one word to describe this and that word is BOOOOMSHACKALACKA!
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
nutbar
8-bit

Post by nutbar »

It's surprising how many special characters are in the TE version of the game. I played a game with Bill Clinton yesterday!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I always love to see a game on together retro that I've playing every year since launch.

I'll have to take some shots from my Genesis port. My record is something ridiculous like 120+ and 0. I've never reset, but have used the super "jump" code. I just moved to NC when this was released, so I played with the Hornets all the time. Mourning for trey's, Grandma Johnson for the dunks.

So.. Any goals we're looking for as far as the game goes?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nice to see you participating Luke!

not sure about specific goals... i guess to each his own. I think my record so far in my GB season is 4-1. I'm the Celtics. (duh)
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

noiseredux wrote:nice to see you participating Luke!

not sure about specific goals... i guess to each his own. I think my record so far in my GB season is 4-1. I'm the Celtics. (duh)

I'd LOVE to participate more. Just happy I can chime in on this one. I'll post some screenshots when I get back from DC this weekend (I'm actually going to get paid to do stand up, 1/10th the door).

So far, my knee jerk review of NBA JAM is that it is one of those games where no matter how good you are at it, a novice can still make that half court 3 to win it all. I'm cool with that. I prefer games like that. It's not cheap, it creates a level playing field, and if your D is on it, you have nothing to worry about.

One of, if not the best, mock-sports games. I'm disappointed in you, NHL hitz.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Luke wrote:I always love to see a game on together retro that I've playing every year since launch.

I'll have to take some shots from my Genesis port. My record is something ridiculous like 120+ and 0. I've never reset, but have used the super "jump" code. I just moved to NC when this was released, so I played with the Hornets all the time. Mourning for trey's, Grandma Johnson for the dunks.

So.. Any goals we're looking for as far as the game goes?

The record on my cart (also played since launch) is 255-57. Most of those losses were to my brother (who was at least sometimes competitive) or happened when I was first learning the game.

If you are looking for some records to beat, I posted my personal bests on the first page of this thread. I'd be happy to see someone challenge them, but since the difficulty is cranked all the way up some may be hesitant to try...
nutbar
8-bit

Post by nutbar »

My only goal is to reach the roster extension (beat all 27 teams in the TE version) as a new player account (your initials - that method of saving games has really gone out of style eh?)