Join in on our classic gaming club!
johnwroachiii

Re: Together Retro: Ecco The Dolphin

by johnwroachiii Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:26 am

So I really love the aethetics of this game. The graphics are beautiful. The subject matter is so far outside the video game mold that it stands out for that reason alone. While it's not perfect (knockback on damage, please), it's definitely one of the most artistic video games I've ever played.

I freakin' hate it.

It's just too damn hard for me to enjoy it. I played about 5 levels on the 360 Genesis collection, using copious amounts of save states, and have no desire to come back to it.

It's not that I dislike hard games, but I feel like Ecco's difficulty stems from shortcomings. The previously mentioned lack of knockback, the somewhat-uncooperative controls, and the old-school lack of direction all contributed to my relunctance to play any more.

I guess I'm just not hardcore enough to enjoy Ecco. :(
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:11 am

johnwroachiii wrote:So I really love the aethetics of this game. The graphics are beautiful. The subject matter is so far outside the video game mold that it stands out for that reason alone. While it's not perfect (knockback on damage, please), it's definitely one of the most artistic video games I've ever played.

I freakin' hate it.

It's just too damn hard for me to enjoy it. I played about 5 levels on the 360 Genesis collection, using copious amounts of save states, and have no desire to come back to it.

It's not that I dislike hard games, but I feel like Ecco's difficulty stems from shortcomings. The previously mentioned lack of knockback, the somewhat-uncooperative controls, and the old-school lack of direction all contributed to my relunctance to play any more.

I guess I'm just not hardcore enough to enjoy Ecco. :(

While I agree with most of what you've said (although I liked it), the lack of knockback seems like as good idea to me, just in this one case. Considering the things that are likely to either kill you outright if you're knocked into them, or the spikes which would be a lot harder to pass without it, no knockback doesnt seem a big problem. In fact, most of the really dangerous enemies dart through you and then turn around and come back, so don't remain in contact with you anyway, and knockback would actually leave you closer to them on the second run!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:21 am

I'm sort of feeling the same way... the difficulty is ridiculous to me. And most of it comes from me not feeling like I can comfortably navigate Ecco. Like say I do a dash, but I clip a wall a bit. Then I'm stuck there trying to move again and a blowfish kills me. Or something. I've been stuck on Undercaves all month. I mean I got there on day one. Sigh.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:22 pm

If anyone is in the CD version and has trouble with Volcanic Reef let me know. It took me a bit to figure it out.
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

by Orion Pimpdaddy Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:14 pm

For people that are stuck, I suggest the following:

1) Play the Sega CD version, it's easier because of checkpoints
2) Use Lord Allen's walkthrough. Sometimes there are hidden paths.

Sega CD:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/segacd/587942-e ... faqs/27106

Genesis:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/563323- ... faqs/25690

3) You can always use a password to jump a stage
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:33 pm

this game can go F itself... but it is really pretty. This is my desktop wallpaper right now:

alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:21 pm

noiseredux wrote:this game can go F itself... but it is really pretty. This is my desktop wallpaper right now:

Have you actually reached that octopus yet? If so, not far to go til the end of the undercaves!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:47 pm

alienjesus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

Have you actually reached that octopus yet? If so, not far to go til the end of the undercaves!

sigh. No... I haven't reached him yet. :|

EDIT: I'M AT THE OCTOPUS RIGHT NOW! I JUST JUMPED WHEN I SAW HIM. I HAD TO PAUSE THE GAME. I'M SLIGHTLY FREAKED OUT. NEED...TO...COMPOSE...MYSELF.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:17 pm

noiseredux wrote:
alienjesus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

sigh. No... I haven't reached him yet. :|

EDIT: I'M AT THE OCTOPUS RIGHT NOW! I JUST JUMPED WHEN I SAW HIM. I HAD TO PAUSE THE GAME. I'M SLIGHTLY FREAKED OUT. NEED...TO...COMPOSE...MYSELF.

YES!!!!!!!!! I did it! I beat the Undercaves! I got past the Octopus!! Yes!

Okay, now I don't hate this game. Because I stuck with it, and got to the next level. I still think it's way too hard. But now I'm back into playing again! haha.
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

by Orion Pimpdaddy Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Congratulations on conquering the Undercaves. Your next beer is on me!
Return to Together Retro