Together Retro: Ecco The Dolphin

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ecco The Dolphin

Post by Jrecee »

I have the tides of time for genesis. Not really sure how far I've gotten. I heard the dreamcast one is ass rapingly hard.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Jrecee wrote:I have the tides of time for genesis. Not really sure how far I've gotten. I heard the dreamcast one is ass rapingly hard.

I wouldn't put it that way. It is hard though, there are also some ludicrous jumps to be made (particularly if you want to get all the Extra bits). And the gorgeous level where there are waterways in the sky is bonkers, I must have made Ecco fall 100 times or so.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the PS2 version is a bit better (but probably not by much).

With a lot of perseverance and patience you can do it though.

Ivo.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I fucking suck at this game. Man! Okay, so I can't even make it to the octopus. I keep going into that one set of caves that's filled with blow fish. I get to the end of it and hit the gem (or whatever they're called) and then head back out. Then I have to fight a bit of a current to try to get out and for some reason the blowfish are going spastic and they kill me just by getting touched too many times. Sigh.
johnwroachiii

Post by johnwroachiii »

noiseredux wrote:Then I have to fight a bit of a current ...

Don't fight currents. There's almost always a better way. Like a different path to take or something. :wink:

I know exactly where you are. I died a good bit there too before I figured it out. Then I kept dying because I'm getting old and can't remember shit.
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

Post by Orion Pimpdaddy »

noiseredux wrote:I fucking suck at this game. Man! Okay, so I can't even make it to the octopus. I keep going into that one set of caves that's filled with blow fish. I get to the end of it and hit the gem (or whatever they're called) and then head back out. Then I have to fight a bit of a current to try to get out and for some reason the blowfish are going spastic and they kill me just by getting touched too many times. Sigh.

Are you in the Undercaves? If so, I feel you. It's really hard for an early stage. When you go through that blowfish section, keep doing the dash over and over again. You can actually kill them off on the way to the gem, that way, they aren't there when you swim against the current. Just remember that getting the bubbles from the clams, or eating tiny fish, refills your energy. I didn't know that until I read the instructions.

Should you manage to get past that tunnel and back out to the room with the barricade, you'll have to push a seashell into the barricade to get through.

As a last resort, here's a video of that stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6_UZEiXr0
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

noiseredux wrote:I fucking suck at this game. Man! Okay, so I can't even make it to the octopus. I keep going into that one set of caves that's filled with blow fish. I get to the end of it and hit the gem (or whatever they're called) and then head back out. Then I have to fight a bit of a current to try to get out and for some reason the blowfish are going spastic and they kill me just by getting touched too many times. Sigh.

The blowfish go crazy because of the currents I think. They tend to get wild whenever you are navigating a zone with currents.

When dashing Ecco sort of auto-aims. If you dash into dash you will either kill a bunch of them OR you will miss one and get a good amount of distance from them so you are probably safe either way.

If it is the first Octopus, then I think you don't have the powered up sonar yet, otherwise you could rapid-fire that and kill all blowfish easily.

Ivo.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The safest way to get through areas ;like that seems to be to rapidly tap B and C as fast as you can (alternating probably works best). Once you save the dolphins in a level or two's time and get the death sonar, tapping all 3 buttons as fast as you can (which could be trickier with the GBAs shoulder button i guess) is the safest way.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Wow, this game is as hard as I remember and I'm only on the second stage (undercaves).

With some practice I can now make it past the Octopus every time, hit the glyph and head past him again and down but then...

I get stuck, there doesn't seem to be a way out, there are just some spikes to the left with a tiny gap that can't be traversed and to the right there is nothing, where am I supposed to go next?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Betagam7 wrote:Wow, this game is as hard as I remember and I'm only on the second stage (undercaves).

With some practice I can now make it past the Octopus every time, hit the glyph and head past him again and down but then...

I get stuck, there doesn't seem to be a way out, there are just some spikes to the left with a tiny gap that can't be traversed and to the right there is nothing, where am I supposed to go next?

SPOILERS (highlight to read)

The Gap can be traversed, you have to swim at the very highest point you can. recommend mashing C to try and get through as quickly as possible so you dont die. Theres another glyph down there which you can use to exit the level, but you'll have to pass the spiky gap twice. Expect to find a few of those in the game.

/SPOILER
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Orion Pimpdaddy wrote:Are you in the Undercaves?

sadly...yes.

When you go through that blowfish section, keep doing the dash over and over again. You can actually kill them off on the way to the gem, that way, they aren't there when you swim against the current.

:shock: woah! I just figured they WOULD be there on the way back even if I killed them first. I think you just gave me the strength to continue trying!

Should you manage to get past that tunnel and back out to the room with the barricade, you'll have to push a seashell into the barricade to get through.

this part I had figured out, but of course needed to hit that other gem first.