Together Retro: Ecco The Dolphin

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

Re: Together Retro: Ecco The Dolphin

Post by Orion Pimpdaddy »

I started playing the Sega CD version last night. Unfortunately I got stuck pretty early. If you can, don't tell me the solution, I'll try again tonight.

It's actually just after it gives you the first password. It put me in this maze section, where there's a few of the large crystal devices laying around. I explored the entire layout, over and over again, and could not figure out what to do. One of the crystals gave me a clue that said something like "swim slowly past the eight arms." Huh?

I'm not knocking the game, and in fact I thought the situation was hilarious. I'm still getting used to the game, since I've never really played it before. I do love the whole underwater atmosphere theme. I also like how it doesn't show the characters mouthing the words when you communicate to them. Instead it cuts to another screen and shows the words "radiate" into view. I think a talking dolphin would have made the game too cartoony.

Off to try again.
Assman
24-bit

Post by Assman »

Orion Pimpdaddy wrote:One of the crystals gave me a clue that said something like "swim slowly past the eight arms." Huh?

There's an octopus that you can only get by if you move very slowly, and you need to get by it to progress through the level. That's one of the most straightforward hints in the game, really.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Assman wrote:
Orion Pimpdaddy wrote:One of the crystals gave me a clue that said something like "swim slowly past the eight arms." Huh?

There's an octopus that you can only get by if you move very slowly, and you need to get by it to progress through the level. That's one of the most straightforward hints in the game, really.

that's the level I'm on.
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

Assman wrote:

I haven't seen an octopus yet, but maybe tonight I will. I couldn't get out of those caverns, and I thought the clue was telling me how to get out of the caverns. After getting the 242nd star in Super Mario Galaxy a couple of days ago, I'm sure I'll be able to get out of the caverns in the very first level of Ecco. Well, hopefully! :D
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

Finally made it past The Undercaves. I needed to push a small shell into a wall. Then I snuck past the octopus. Then it was off to The Vents.

The Vents is a very soothing stage. Nice relaxing music, lots of bubbles, colorful scenery. Searching for the three lost dolphins in the maze was challenging, and it felt rewarding when I rescued them all. The thing that concerned me the most was when I brought the third and final dolphin back, the leader said thank you, gave me a hint about singing a song, but then that was it. I thought the stage was going to end right there. Luckily I figured out that I needed to go back into the vent and exit out of the section. Mission complete.

Tomorrow, I'll be heading into The Lagoon.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Orion Pimpdaddy wrote:Finally made it past The Undercaves. I needed to push a small shell into a wall. Then I snuck past the octopus. Then it was off to The Vents.

The Vents is a very soothing stage. Nice relaxing music, lots of bubbles, colorful scenery. Searching for the three lost dolphins in the maze was challenging, and it felt rewarding when I rescued them all. The thing that concerned me the most was when I brought the third and final dolphin back, the leader said thank you, gave me a hint about singing a song, but then that was it. I thought the stage was going to end right there. Luckily I figured out that I needed to go back into the vent and exit out of the section. Mission complete.

Tomorrow, I'll be heading into The Lagoon.

That song is very important. Press charge, and then before you actually do charge, press sonar, and you'll shoot a sonar that does damage. Its very very helpful, especially later in the game.

Its not compulsory, but I recommend everyone take the time to get it.
arkanoid
8-bit

Post by arkanoid »

just an interesting fact: the graphics on this game were made by a 16 year old. can't remember his name but amazing talent for such a young fellow.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

arkanoid wrote:just an interesting fact: the graphics on this game were made by a 16 year old. can't remember his name but amazing talent for such a young fellow.

hhhwut?
Orion Pimpdaddy
8-bit

Wow, a sixteen year old did the graphics, that's amazing.

One odd thing. While reading the instructions for my Sega CD version, it has the part where it tells how to put the game in the system ( I was bored). Well, it doesn't mention the Sega CD at all, instead it refers to it as the CDX. That's when I realized I had the CDX pack-in version of Echo. The manual has a slightly odd size as well; a little longer than a standard CD case. My guess is that they didn't want people to be able to stick the instruction manual in a regular sized CD case, and resell the pack-in game.

So I continued my journey into the sea.

The Lagoon
I found a dolphin and he told me his pod was stranded. Now that's a little confusing because the previous stage, the Vents, had stranded dolphins as well. Is this a different group, or did the same dolphins get lost again? Anyway I proceeded to locate everyone and bring them back. That was after a couple of tough parts where I had to push a "group of starfish" around to break blocks. Those things are a little ackward to push in the direction I need them to go. Anyway, after I returned the last dolphin, he said a couple of vague things, and once again I didn't know what I needed to do next. Eventually, I broke down and looked at a walkthrough online. It turns out there's a spot where the water pressure is pushing up, and if I charge down and to the right, I can pass through. I don't think I ever would have figured that out because normally these "upward pressure" sections take a rock to get through.

Ridge Water:
This was basically just a maze to get through. It was pretty fun. Those crabs can be annoying though.

Open Ocean
All I did was swim to the right and kept doing spin jumps out of the water. Easy.
BlackDS
Next-Gen

Post by BlackDS »

racketboy wrote:Who's up for some Ecco?
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/together ... lphin.html

Can I play the GG version???
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373