Together Retro: X-COM: UFO Defense

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: X-COM: UFO Defense

Post by noiseredux »

fast, believe it or not I've never played Advanced Wars! I am a tactics fan though. Turn based, not real time.
DerekG52
32-bit

Post by DerekG52 »

So I just gave xcom a whirl, and boy did I get my ass kicked in the land battles. I tried doing the buddy pairing system, and 1 guy was always shot and killed the second I spotted an alien, and the next guy would usually die from not being able to kill him during his turn.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I like the first Advance Wars the most, I think the system works really well with only a dozen options - though I never played the second and it is just the first with a couple of tweaks. Once the system expands to three dozen units and dual COs it gets unwieldy. They are all solid games though. The first one came out on September 11th 2001, I almost skipped class to go pick it up (I worked at a Software ETC back then).
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I remember finishing X-Com (on the CD32) without losing a single soldier. Of course that required a bit of re-doing missions (IIRC you can't save mid-mission).

You just need to be very, very careful when entering doors (particularly into UFOs). Also, the tanks (available from the start) are excellent as they can take one or two shots. I basically always used the "save time units for shot" things to give a chance of ambush the aliens.

When you get the remote controlled missiles (they are amazing) I used to love opening a hole in the biggest UFOs so I could enter from the top, the explosion was powerful enough to open at least a 1 square hole in an intact UFO (that's how I managed to capture one of the highest-ranking aliens alive).

This game is epic :)

Ivo.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ivo wrote:When you get the remote controlled missiles (they are amazing) I used to love opening a hole in the biggest UFOs so I could enter from the top, the explosion was powerful enough to open at least a 1 square hole in an intact UFO (that's how I managed to capture one of the highest-ranking aliens alive).

This game is epic :)

Ivo.

Blaster Bombs! That's how I beat the last level. I used the rest of my soldiers as scouts, found the HQ area, and started firing Blaster Bombs into it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nutbar
8-bit

Post by nutbar »

This game is so painful... here in my 6th complete re-start of the game I finally have personal armor and laser rifles for my team. I finally beat a terror zone, too!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Terror Zones are a pain in the ass at the start of the game. When you get armor and laser weapons they become a little better. Once you research Heavy Plasma (which is a lightweight heavy weapon that should be the standard weapon by mid/end game) and the Powered Armor they become even easier.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
enderfall
128-bit

Post by enderfall »

For all the X-COM rookies like me, you might want to visit this site for some tips, etc.:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=X-COM
NES | SNES | Genesis | PSOne | Saturn | N64 | Dreamcast | Gamecube | XBox | PS2 Phat w/HDLoader | PS3 Slim| Wii
GBA SP | PSP-1000 | WiFi-iPad 16GB(Is this a game system?) | Modded PS1 | PS Vita 3G

Goozex referral: http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=6186585560772

http://backloggery.com/enderfall/sig.gif
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Depending on circumstances, you may want to keep using Laser weapons rather than Plasma ones up to the end - the Plasma ones suck up a lot of ammo.

The problem is if you even shoot only once with a given soldier, for the next mission the ammo clip will need to be replaced as if it was all used up! And then each ammo clip is one unit of Element-115, which is not that easy to acquire (I remember only getting significant quantities when you grab WHOLE UFOs, which is rather tricky to pull off).

Ivo.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ivo wrote:Depending on circumstances, you may want to keep using Laser weapons rather than Plasma ones up to the end - the Plasma ones suck up a lot of ammo.

The problem is if you even shoot only once with a given soldier, for the next mission the ammo clip will need to be replaced as if it was all used up! And then each ammo clip is one unit of Element-115, which is not that easy to acquire (I remember only getting significant quantities when you grab WHOLE UFOs, which is rather tricky to pull off).

Ivo.

True, there's that bug. You can circumvent it by unloading the clip before the end of the mission. And after a while the aliens pretty much exclusively use Heavy Plasma, so ammo becomes pretty plentiful. If you're having to manufacture clips you're doing it wrong.

That said, I do usually keep a few Laser Rifles on hand as backup for my heavy weapons soldiers. It's nice to not have to carry around ammo when they're already loaded with the large ammo from the HWs.