Join in on our classic gaming club!
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Contra

by slowslow325 Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 am

shake_zula wrote:For me the spread gun is easily the best, other than in the Base levels. For these I prefer the laser or machine gun, because they take out the red buttons quicker. The flamethrower is possibly worse than the default weapon!

I wouldn't say its worse than the default gun. It's not like it has any real disadvantages to the default, but it has an advantage. Let's say something is just above or just below your shot, yes the spread gun could do this, but what if you just lost it. The flamethrower can get it. Or in the first level, you can crouch in front of the turret things and shoot them with the flamethrower.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:05 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I disagree Luke, you just have to find a gun that works for you. I am much better with the machine gun than the spread. One of my buddies in college was best with the laser. Ive yet to find anyone who is any good with flame thrower...

Agreed.

It's just in the latter stages when you've got enemies dropping from the ceiling, the spread seems to be more efficient than the laser. At least for me.

But yeah, my main point was power-ups are key.
shake_zula
8-bit

by shake_zula Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 pm

slowslow325 wrote:
shake_zula wrote:For me the spread gun is easily the best, other than in the Base levels. For these I prefer the laser or machine gun, because they take out the red buttons quicker. The flamethrower is possibly worse than the default weapon!

I wouldn't say its worse than the default gun. It's not like it has any real disadvantages to the default, but it has an advantage. Let's say something is just above or just below your shot, yes the spread gun could do this, but what if you just lost it. The flamethrower can get it. Or in the first level, you can crouch in front of the turret things and shoot them with the flamethrower.

The disadvantage is in the speed of the bullet. You can take enemies out more quickly with the default gun, which means less bullets coming your way.

Tbh I'll usually take the flamethrower over the default gun anyway, I don't think there's much difference and I get bored of the default.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:22 am

So I finally got to Level 4 in Operation C last night. (The game has 5 levels) That's the furthest I've ever made it. The thing is, I'd have no problem beating level 3 if I could keep the homing gun, but I always seem to take some cheap hit right before the end boss. And then I'm stuck with the standard machine gun, and he kicks my ass. But still. Level 4. Progress.
Mr.White555
64-bit

by Mr.White555 Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm

noiseredux wrote:So I finally got to Level 4 in Operation C last night. (The game has 5 levels) That's the furthest I've ever made it. The thing is, I'd have no problem beating level 3 if I could keep the homing gun, but I always seem to take some cheap hit right before the end boss. And then I'm stuck with the standard machine gun, and he kicks my ass. But still. Level 4. Progress.

The waterfall right before you face the boss in level 3 always gets me!!!! Curses at the games high jump that doesn't cover a lot of ground! Level 4 is pretty easy except the boss is a pain without an upgrade
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Mr.White555 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:So I finally got to Level 4 in Operation C last night. (The game has 5 levels) That's the furthest I've ever made it. The thing is, I'd have no problem beating level 3 if I could keep the homing gun, but I always seem to take some cheap hit right before the end boss. And then I'm stuck with the standard machine gun, and he kicks my ass. But still. Level 4. Progress.

The waterfall right before you face the boss in level 3 always gets me!!!! Curses at the games high jump that doesn't cover a lot of ground! Level 4 is pretty easy except the boss is a pain without an upgrade

yup the waterfall. I can actually make it from Level 1 all the way to the waterfall without losing a life on a good day. But then I get to the waterfall and bye bye homing gun.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:58 pm

How do the two Gameboy Contra's look on the GBA SP/Super Gameboy/GameBoy Player. Like does it have a color scheme like a lot of original Gameboy games do (not just black cartridges)?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 pm

No it looks like most GB games do. Lance and most enemies are red. The backgrounds are all shades of green/blue.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:No it looks like most GB games do. Lance and most enemies are red. The backgrounds are all shades of green/blue.

That sucks
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:42 pm

the color palettes never bother me. Maybe cuz I actually grew up with the grey brick. So I never adjust color schemes.
Return to Together Retro