Join in on our classic gaming club!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Together Retro: Contra

by samsonlonghair Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:57 pm

I never beat contra without the Konami code. Maybe I'll try this time.
Mr.White555
64-bit

by Mr.White555 Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 pm

I've been playing it on contra 4's emu. Its hard as hell cause its almost impossible to see bullets in the compressed version in the base levels. If you do the original ratio then in the latter levels you get fucked by not being able to see those flames. I really need a nes...

On another note I just played all the contra games I own in the last 3 hours. My rank of them are as follows? How would you guys rank titles in the series?
1.Contra III: Alien Wars
2.Contra
3.Contra 4
4.Super C
5. Contra: Hard Corps
6.Operation C
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:19 pm

You can vote for the best Contra games here:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2010/02/ ... -game.html
shake_zula
8-bit

by shake_zula Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Luke wrote:I can go through the game without losing any lives until meeting this bastard:

It's a classic game, but I always thought it was a pretty easy game to master. But, I'll probably play it tonight for the fun of it.

That guy is nowhere near as hard as the Base 2 boss :[

I played this game a bit last year without ever using the code, I never made it past the Base 2 boss. I just put the code in tonight and played through the game using about 75 lives :D I lost over 20 on the Base 2 boss but I think only like 5 on that guy

I'm v apprehensive about beating it without the cheat, that level with all the flamethrowers is horrific
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I'll usually start playing Contra just to try to beat it by myself without the Konami code.
I can usually get to the WaterFall level in the original Contra without losing a single life, but then a stray bullet the waterfall effect hides from my eyes will sneak its way and kill me. Then, I'll either get discouraged and turn off the system right there (for no reason) or try to stick with my goal and play til then end. If that happens, I'll play until usually the next level or so and have to use a continue and get really discouraged and turn it off.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:47 pm

slowslow325 wrote:I'll usually start playing Contra just to try to beat it by myself without the Konami code.
I can usually get to the WaterFall level in the original Contra without losing a single life, but then a stray bullet the waterfall effect hides from my eyes will sneak its way and kill me. Then, I'll either get discouraged and turn off the system right there (for no reason) or try to stick with my goal and play til then end. If that happens, I'll play until usually the next level or so and have to use a continue and get really discouraged and turn it off.

Contra is a great example of NES games where the power up is key.

Spread-Fire.

If you can keep this weapon (and beat the boss who throws lethal Frisbees) the game becomes a breeze.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I disagree Luke, you just have to find a gun that works for you. I am much better with the machine gun than the spread. One of my buddies in college was best with the laser. Ive yet to find anyone who is any good with flame thrower...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:22 pm

it's like what I said about Operation C. If you can hang on to the Heatseeking gun, then you can breeze thru... but as soon as you get killed and end up in a spot with no powerups, the difficulty skyrockets.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 pm

The flamethrower in Super C is my favorite weapon to use, but I'm way better with the spread gun the majority of the time in both Contra (where the flamethrower is strange) and Super C
shake_zula
8-bit

by shake_zula Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:18 pm

For me the spread gun is easily the best, other than in the Base levels. For these I prefer the laser or machine gun, because they take out the red buttons quicker. The flamethrower is possibly worse than the default weapon!
Return to Together Retro