Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Contra

by noiseredux Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 pm

fast wrote:Ok there was some sort of mixup between mine and Rackets emails. The post should be up eventually.

<-- was wondering.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 pm

noiseredux wrote:so I've been playing Operation C (GB) which I had when it first came out, but really haven't played in over a decade. It's a great game. Almost on par with the NES original. And really impressive for such an early GB release. The levels are complex (some are classic Contra side-scrollers, others are overhead Ikari Warriors style) with diverse terrain for such a small cart (no saves!). The game starts easy, but gets rapidly harder. Though, it can be argued that the Homing Missile gun can keep you going for a long-ass time if you know how to use it (and not get hit). There are apparently two variations of the Konami code that do different beneficial things. Though I haven't resorted to that yet. Nor will for at least a week. Maybe two before I move on to The Alien Wars.

I haven't played Operation C all the way through, but it definitely is everything quoted here and more. Wish there were more portable Contras, though. (yes, I do know about the GBA Alien Wars [hated it] and Contra 4 [got to level 9])
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm not bad at the game by a long shot, but I doubt I can still beat it without continuing (assuming of course I don't cheat).
Mr.White555
64-bit

by Mr.White555 Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:26 pm

I tragically don't have this game seeing as I dont have a working nes... Unless you count the emulation in contra 4.

I've been contra 3 pretty consistently though. I can beat it on hard with one continue. I usually don't die until the end of the 3rd level or if I'm lucky the begging of the 4th.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 pm

The post is up now. I failed hardcore at my attempt to beat Castlevania during its TR, but I will valiantly try to beat Contra (and no Konami code either!).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Googles been giving me all sorts of trouble this week. Im firing up Contra tonight, last time I beat it was with my older brother on Christmas Eve. We rocked the Red Falcon and only lost three lives between us. Some things never change - he is still a surgeon with the spread and I stick with the machinegun or laser.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I hadn't played original Contra in years. I played lots of Super C and Shattered Soldier between though.

55 lives later and I have saved the world from Red Falcon. Not too bad for a first run through. God help me if I try to do this without the Konami code though.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Luke wrote:I can go through the game without losing any lives until meeting this bastard:

That's the guy that usually prevented me from beating this game without Konami code. I guess you can jump over his head when he charges you, but the timing is so hard. My problem is the spiked bulldozers just before him though. If you died and are stuck with your pea shooter, they are going to mow you over.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:47 pm

I tried without the konami code. I got to the boss of stage 4b on my first continue, but the bubble shooting blue heads came out before the I had finished off the turrets, so I was done for. For some reason that got me off my game and I was real sloppy after that and so I never finished the level even with all my continues. I'll have to try again later.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 pm

finished the game for this month (with the code). sure brings back memories. :D
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Return to Together Retro