Together Retro: Contra

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Contra

Post by noiseredux »

Alien Wars (GB) just showed up in my mailbox. When I get a chance I'll whip out the GBPlayer controller and let y'all know how it goes. I've never played this one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so far my thoughts on Alien Wars for Game Boy include "holy shit!" and "this is really fucking hard!"
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

noiseredux wrote:so far my thoughts on Alien Wars for Game Boy include "holy shit!" and "this is really fucking hard!"

I believe that aptly describes my reaction to pretty much all of the Contra games.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Operation C is a lot easier than this. I haven't played the original NES game in some years, but I don't remember it being this hard...
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

noiseredux wrote:Operation C is a lot easier than this. I haven't played the original NES game in some years, but I don't remember it being this hard...

Apparently I'm not very good at Contra, the way everyone talks about it. This is odd, because I can breeze through games like Castlevania or Megaman without batting an eyelid.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Dylan wrote:
noiseredux wrote:Operation C is a lot easier than this. I haven't played the original NES game in some years, but I don't remember it being this hard...

Apparently I'm not very good at Contra, the way everyone talks about it. This is odd, because I can breeze through games like Castlevania or Megaman without batting an eyelid.

Contra is a whole different beast.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

MrPopo wrote:
Dylan wrote:

Contra is a whole different beast.

So it would seem. Freakin' crouch.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so weird though. This Alien Wars cart is so much... more? I mean, I grew up on NES Contra. And I had Operation C when it was released. I was like 8 or 9 at the time, and could consistently make it to at least level 3 even back then. But Alien Wars is like, "fuck this game" hard.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright, since I didn't actually play the game chosen this month -- I put all my somewhat related thoughts here: rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux regarding the two GB Contra releases.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I realized that the month was almost up and I hadn't given this a run-through yet. So I did, for the first time in many years. I must use the Konami code to get past about stage 6 (I HATE the "Energy" level), so I did and it was fun. This is still one of the best NES games ever made, it holds up well, and it should be played by everyone at least once. The only criticism - I forgot how easy the last boss was! It seems that a game of this toughness should throw something a little more challenging/sinister at you to beat it.