Join in on our classic gaming club!
SplashChick
64-bit

Re: Together Retro: Battletoads

by SplashChick Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 pm

GAAAH I got to level 11 and it crushed me.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:46 pm

(still referring to GB port)

I FINALLY beat the ball... next up was:

Bodmin
32-bit

by Bodmin Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 pm

ive heard of fist fights between friends start over this game
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm

UUUUUUUUGH

HOW DO YOU BEAT THE STUPID HYPNO ORB
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 am

alright, so the month is winding down and the remainder of January will be very busy for me. So advancing any further in Battletoads this month is doubtful. Since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one playing the Game Boy version, I thought I'd show you guys what it was like. (Note: I'm playing the original Game Boy Battletoads game, which came out at the same time as the first NES game and features similar gameplay but is not a direct port. Later, the NES game was ported to Game Boy -- this causes some confusion so I thought I'd clarify.)

First stage is a pretty easy beatemup stage, which if memory serves correctly is a lot like the first stage in the NES game. Right? No big deal.

Second stage is Gradius-style shmup stage. There's a couple sections that require pretty perfect weaving through holes in walls that is frustrating, but not impossible after enough practice. End boss is a huge mouse spaceship. (Maybe a jab at Darius?)

Third stage is another platform stage (the ice stage), but a little tougher than the first. End boss is pretty easy. Again, nothing too difficult.

Fourth stage is where difficulty begins to really ramp up. This jet-ski level requires a lot of dodging crap in the water. And it goes pretty fast for such a small screen! End boss is super easy.

Fifth stage is where I really start dropping the F-bomb. This stage sucks. Big time. You gotta run through this ant-farm style maze level while this big testicle/brain thing chases you like in Temple Of Doom. It's awful. If it touches you once, you die. And the level is not that short. No checkpoint. Just start over from the beginning of the level.

Sixth level is a lot like its NES counterpart. I can't go into much detail, because I died before the endboss, and I've only made up to here once.

According to gamefaqs, there are three more levels after this.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun playing this game. But much like the NES version I grew up with, this game is horribly frustrating. I doubt that I'll revisit it again soon, so chances are I'll never beat it. But I'm glad I stuck with it for the month to see how far I could get. The first couple days I couldn't even clear level two!
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:17 am

Picked up Battletoads for the Genesis (already own the NES one) and I think it is easier than the nes cart. I made it to the 4th level on my first try, no continues, but died shortly there after.
Graphics look great, gameplay is smooth, but, no pause music.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:37 pm

Since I gave up on the NES Battletoads earlier this month due to insane difficulty levels, I figured I would give the Arcade version a play through today, on the last day of this month's Together Retro.

I had a lot of fun with it! It's more of a straight forward arcade style beat 'em up than the NES version, although it did throw in a few different types of levels to keep things fresh. The gameplay is fun, and although beat 'em ups are repetitive in nature, it never really felt too stale. The bosses are big and intimidating, and some of them can be quite difficult. On top of that, the large, colorful sprites and downright cool looking combos that can be performed by your Battletoad of choice manage to keep things interesting for the approximate hour that it takes to beat.

The game is unexpectedly violent, although since it is such over-the-top gore, it actually fits in perfect with the Battletoads universe. Buzzsaw-knees, drill-arms, hammer-fists, and battle axe-legs all do exactly what you expect them to, and the resulting carnage is actually quite hilarious.

If you have any way of playing this game, you should totally do it! It's one of the best beat 'em ups I've ever played, no joke.
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:07 am

Bumping this thread because I started playing again after my three week break, and I not only made it to level 12 with all my continues intact, but I successfully maxed out my score at 999,999.

Now I just need to actually BEAT the god damn game.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:15 pm

SplashChick wrote:Bumping this thread because I started playing again after my three week break, and I not only made it to level 12 with all my continues intact, but I successfully maxed out my score at 999,999.

Nice! That must have been a cool moment when the score rolled to a stop. Good luck actually beating the game.

I gave up on this game LONG ago, and its too damn sadistic to warrant another try!
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:54 pm

jfe2 wrote:
SplashChick wrote:Bumping this thread because I started playing again after my three week break, and I not only made it to level 12 with all my continues intact, but I successfully maxed out my score at 999,999.

Nice! That must have been a cool moment when the score rolled to a stop. Good luck actually beating the game.

I gave up on this game LONG ago, and its too damn sadistic to warrant another try!

Yeah, you basically have to practice each and every level until you master it in order to beat this game. It's kinda ridiculous. If you manage to score about 170,000 on level 2 and don't use any continues or warps you can max out your score on level 12. All the other levels you get pretty much the same score no matter what you do.
Return to Together Retro