Join in on our classic gaming club!
Kevman
128-bit

Re: Together Retro: Battletoads

by Kevman Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:48 pm

YESSSSS! This is my second favorite NES game of all time (with Mario 3 at number one of course)!
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:59 pm

Wow, it's been a while since I played this game. I don't have the patience to beat it without cheating again, I'll probably just use the codes. Those 2 extra lives make all the difference.
Wurp
24-bit

by Wurp Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:17 am

I would play but my Megadrive is broken :(
Eh, I wouldn't be able to make it past the 3rd level anyhow.
spin the demon
24-bit

by spin the demon Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:18 pm

:D It's my day off, so battletoads all days long! I Think im going to bust out Battletoads/Double Dragon too my x'eye needs some love. What is everybodys Fav. Toad Game?
Last edited by spin the demon on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEGA:32X,Saturn X2,DC X2 GG,NINTENDO: NES,SUPER NES X2,64,Gamecube,Game Player,Wii,GBA SP Virtual Boy X3, DS SONY: PS1/PS2 (Slim) PS1/PS3 (80 Gig no PS2) PSP(FAT&SLIM BOTH BLACK) Microsoft:XBOX, 360 JVC:X'EYE SNK: NEO-GEO POCKET TEC-TOY: PLAYPAL(MEGA&MASTER), MUGA MP3/GAME PLAYER NEC/HUDSON: Turbo Grafx 16 X2 Arcade Machine (Speed Rumbler,1986) Atari: Lynx, Flash Back. Clones: FC TWIN
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I made it just a little bit farther in the hovercraft level this time. I'm resisting the temptation to use my game genie. I want to try to beat this hovercraft level legitimately.

Check out this guy who beat the hovercraft level on a real NES without dying once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSXYXhao6vI

awesome! :D i've always like this game.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 pm

so I've been rocking the Game Boy version. The original Game Boy game. I haven't played the NES game since around its release, so it's hard to compare. Here's how far I've gotten:

1. first level is an easy platformer, I'm pretty sure based on the NES game. Pretty easy. Weird cow-looking boss. No problem.
2. shmup level. Pretty hard at first, cuz it goes fast. But after some practice, no prob. Boss is a robotic mouse.
3. Ice level. Platformer. harder than Level 1. Boss is a flying bat thing. Not too hard, but he takes lots of damage from you.
4. swamp level. You ride a jetski. Wicked fucking hard. Boss is super easy if you get to him.
5. Weird maze level with a ball that chases you a la Indiana Jones. way hard. Haven't beat this one yet.

I think I read there are 9 levels. So. I'm getting there.
Dylan
Next-Gen

by Dylan Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 am

Well, beat it. I still think it's amusing how comparably easy the last boss is when compared to the rest of the game.
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 am

jfe2 wrote:So I've been playing Battletoads on NES for a little bit now, and I just cleared the infamous hovercraft section. I made it to the third checkpoint on one life, and was thinking, "People are crazy! This is a cake walk!"...

:shock:

The next twenty minutes of my life were a living hell. I had to put in the Gamegenie infinite lives code in, and even then I probably died twenty plus times. It was ridiculous! A challenge is fine, but how do they expect you to only use a few lives learning those patterns?! That was just insane.

So I made it out of that section and got to the ice level, which I just realized I had never seen before, most likely because of that bitch of a hovercraft level. This was more platforming than the first beat em up level of the game, and I have to say that I wish the mechanics were a little more solid. Don't get me wrong, the game is brilliant, especially for its time. Four different types of levels in the first four levels alone is pretty innovative stuff for its time, but with the hit detection being as bad as it is and the fact that you can jump right through platforms that you are trying to land on, really make it difficult to enjoy certain areas.

This game will always give me fond nostalgic memories, and thanks to save states, I fully intend to finish it today, but I'm not sure its as good as I remember it being. It is a fun game, but even for an NES title, the fundamental gameplay issues are a bit unforgivable.

*Edit: Found this Battletoads retrospective that some people may find interesting. It's definitely cool if you are planning on playing Together Retro this month. http://retro.ign.com/articles/944/944561p1.html

Since you didn't post after this I'm taking it that you STILL didn't beat it.

I'm totally jumping in on this.
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
randombullseye
24-bit

by randombullseye Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:55 am

I'm retarded. I should have posted this days ago.

Over on Hardcore101's blog, somebody wrote about all the levels of battletoads.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2009/ ... -view.html
SplashChick
64-bit

by SplashChick Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Only played a few times so far, still dying on level 3...
I blog about games and art. Usually both at once. Check it out at your own risk.
Return to Together Retro