Post by racketboy »

It's point-and-click time!
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/together ... sword.html

Share your thoughts here :)
jfe2
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Broken Sword

Post by jfe2 »

I LOVE adventure games, and for whatever reason, this is the first that I've heard of this one. I should be able to start playing this on the DS some time tomorrow, so long as Dragon Age: Origins doesn't steal all of my attention.
silverback
24-bit

Post by silverback »

excellent game! I played this and its sequel a good few times right through.

A few years back I was in Tesco and saw they were selling the 2 on 1 disc for £4.99. Bought it and completed them both again.

PC version is quickest to play, the PS1 versions are great if you have the PS1 mouse which few do, so the controller it is.

The second game was the better of the 2, it was more involving and a bit longer I found as well as a better atmosphere. Although the train on the first game was quite good.
Own: Spectrum 48k x2, Amiga 500, NES, SNES, Gameboy Color x 3, Gameboy Advance, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Master System II x 2, GameGear x 4, Megadrive x 2, Saturn, Dreamcast x 3, Playstation x 3, PSP 2003, PS2 Slimline, PS3 Slimline 160GB, Xbox, Xbox 360 Elite
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I found a CIB copy of the GBA version months ago, and have been waiting to crack it open for TR. Today's the day...
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Finally a Together Retro with a game I know and played the living shit out of.

When I was growing up, pretty much every night after my dad got home from work we would kick back and play through a Adventure game together. From Kings Quest to Monkey Island, we played through heaps of the bastards.

Broken Sword was one of the ones we still pop off quotes from today (mainly because the voice acting was so damn good, and Nicole saying 'Georgie' was just too fucking funny. While I thought number three was a weak link in the series, Shadows of the Templar's is by far the best non Lucas Arts adventure game to me. Fuck the Da Vinci Code, this is the real shit right here.

I bought my dad the trilogy set for $5 (As our version of one got the ass kicked out of it) awhile ago and he has since played through them all again.

Also how awesome is playing pong (Though to be honest on the P2 rig we had at the time, pong was fairly hardcore in terms of it being unplayed, it jumped around as the game was being installed, sweet idea none the less).

This is one of the few adventures that wasnt made by Lucas Arts to really hit home with comedy in that 'adventure game' way that you never find present any more.

I recently played through it again with the DS release, which was fucking awesome because they had added new scenes to play (you play through some of the game through Nicole's eyes, which meant new puzzles as well as some insight into what happened to her). I highly recommend any Broken Sword fan pick this up if they have not all ready. (The only downfall of this version is there is no voice acting, it was really funny playing through this as I could hear in my head many of the lines of text in the voice actors voice). I have not played the Wii version but I am of the understanding it is the same as the DS version but with voice acting, so its worth a go!

Bottom line for me is the entire Broken Sword series (in particular 1 and 2) are childhood memories to me, and fucking good ones at that.

GEROGGGGIEEEEEE!!!

@JFE2

I have no idea how you missed this if your a P&C fan, play through all 4 you wont be disappointed (Maybe mildly with 3)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

emwarez, I'm confused... I thought that this game was made by another company that was competing with Lucas Arts?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

It is, it was released by Virgin.

This is one of the few adventures that wasnt made by Lucas Arts to really hit home with comedy in that 'adventure game' way that you never find present any more.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

emwearz wrote:It is, it was released by Virgin.

bah! My bad... I was reading too quick. :)

Anyway, I played for about 2 hours or more so far. At first it was sucking me in the way a game like The Secret Of Monkey Island did. But slowly I started to "get" George's character. And the humor. And even the excitement of the mystery.

It's really an awesome game. I had to get used to the sort of dragging info out of people concept. I'm trying to play the game as faq-less as I can. Like the good old days. The only info I'm trying to use is the instruction manual and my friends on the playground (um... you guys).

HOWEVER, I did consult one FAQ first, as I'm playing the GBA version and there's the infamous glitch that I wanted to be aware of so that I'd avoid it. That being said, I think the GBA port looks great for my favorite little console. The music is fantastic in it as well. And I'm actually sort of shocked at how much adult language and inuendo is in a game that was given a T-rating on a Nintendo console!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

GBA version!? Trust me when I say the voice acting in this game, makes the game what it is, while still funny and contains a great story, the voice acting is some of the best every seen. You need to pick up the PC version (Or the Wii version for the extended / new areas).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

emwearz wrote:GBA version!? Trust me when I say the voice acting in this game, makes the game what it is, while still funny and contains a great story, the voice acting is some of the best every seen. You need to pick up the PC version (Or the Wii version for the extended / new areas).

though I'm sure the voice acting is great, it just doesn't mean much to me. I'm a pretty die-hard GB fanatic. And I don't own a single PC game. And I don't own a Wii. Trust me. I'm maybe the one guy in the world who thinks it's amazing that Broken Sword is even on a GBA cart. My copy is CIB and everything. I'm really into the whole concept of de-makes for GB/GBC/GBA... I love seeing HOW they fit something onto the Little Console That Could.