Together Retro: Smash TV

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Pat the NES Punk
8-bit

Re: Together Retro: Smash TV

Post by Pat the NES Punk »

On the NES you can use two Advantage joysticks to emulate the arcade controls. :)
Neither angry nor irate.

thepunkeffect.com
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

This was one of the most addictive games around that no one in my local area really heard of and I personally found out about it by accident as I borrowed it off a friend.
Fantastic game and fantastic controls I had the Snes version I guess twin sticks would be better but I'm accustomed to the Snes layout.
god
64-bit

Post by god »

I just wanted to bump this to point out that there's no love for the Mega Drive version in this thread! I have played it on NES, SNES, MD, and Master System (one of the most horrible games I have ever played, i had a nice complete copy and got rid of it as soon as i could after playing it...). But I must say that the MD version is brilliant! Probably one of my favourite games of all time.

Personally I think the 2 D-pad method and even the SNES control method are overrated, the Sega controls are - A - shoot forward, B - shoot backwards, C - lock firing direction. Once you get used to this it becomes quite intuitive. Strangely, this version gives you a fresh set of lives and credits at the start of each level, which makes it less of an endurance battle than the SNES one. Regardless, I have still never finished it. I just got into the pleasuredome in level 3, collected hundreds of bikini girls, and managed to blow both arms off the final boss, but thats as well as I can do. This game is so very full on, and it made my fingers go numb.

Also, I always thought the host said "good luck, you won't need it" but this time around I heard it as "good luck, you'll need it". It can be hard to tell what the Mega Drive says when it chooses to speak. Anyone else love the MD version??
Big Zenny Hustler
paulkhanti
8-bit

Post by paulkhanti »

The Mega Drive's the way I play it! I'd prefer to play it on arcade, but I just don't have the money to buy an arcade and have never had much luck with MAME. :roll:
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Me and a friend used to sneak out of school during lunch to go play the SNES version in a local toy shop. Good times... 8)

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
god
64-bit

Post by god »

I just now had a bash at the NES version. Holy crap, I felt like I was going to have to get my left thumb amputated. I was using the 2 controllers method and I would NOT recommend it!

I thought the Mega Drive version was hard but its like a walk in the park compared to the nes version. No continues! I got a few rooms into level two, but I couldn't go on even if I had wanted to due to the extreme hand pain. I feel like I should just nurse a 6 button controller for a while to get over it. Anyone finished it on the NES?

I also just recently aquired a PS2 and Monkey Ball ($4.00 CIB!) but my PS2 died so here I am once again bumping an old TR!
Big Zenny Hustler
legato10
8-bit

Post by legato10 »

Smash TV is a very fun and challenging game. It's hard, but with a good friend at your back and adetermination, you will tread through one hell of a firefight!

It still saddens me when people say they never even heard of it. A game like this now, in 3d, would work wonderfully. It, in a way, sort of pioneered the Zombie modes, Firefight matches, and Horde games in current games, except none of those compare in difficulty.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

? I thought I already posted on this thread.
Anyway, I used to play the Amiga version. It was pretty bad conversion, but nothing surprising there. Anyway, it supported 2 joysticks.
We had these josticks with suction knobs on the bottom like these quickshots
plain terrible, but it was fun playing a bit of Smash T.V. on the Amiga.
http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/othe ... hot_ii.jpg
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389