Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: Smash TV

by racketboy Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:54 pm

Double feature this month:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/together ... sh-tv.html

Discuss Smash TV in this thread -- enjoy!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro: Smash TV

by MrPopo Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:03 am

I'd buy that for a dollar!

I just tried playing it on MAME with my two SF4 TE sticks. I gotta say, it didn't work so well because one was tilted on my lap. It'd work best with a table supporting them on a level surface. Also, this game is hard as balls.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
elvis
128-bit

by elvis Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:50 am

I first played Smash TV on the SNES. The four face buttons work quite well for directional firing. And unusually for Nintendo, there's plenty of gore (not as much as the arcade version, but no sign of "green blood" or "sweat" ala MK1).
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:57 am

This (and Wizard of Wor) are both fantastic games - I especially enjoy the fact that in Smash TV the high score does not reset (you just lose some points) when you continue, so you have incentive to keep trying to best your high score even if you suck like me and die a lot. Don't forget to search for those pleasure domes, either!

As Racket indicated, the podcasts (yes - two!) this month will both coincide with Together Retro. The first, for Smash TV, is an especially good one. Mark Turmell and Eugene Jarvis were both kind enough to offer their time and recollections of Smash TV for the show, and that podcast should be up by the middle of the month (I still have to do Jarvis' interview and mix the whole thing together). In any case, Smash TV fans have something extra to look forward to!

A few other things on Smash TV:
-Turmell suggested that outside of the 360 or Arcade Treasures versions, the SNES port was the best, and the NES one was actually one of the worst of what he'd played.

-If you do have the Arcade Treasures collection, there are some really interesting video interviews with both Turmell and Jarvis included as a bonus feature. (Also, if you have either of these collections for the PS2 and would prefer the Gamecube version, shoot me a pm to set up a trade as I prefer the dualshock controller!)

-There's a great text interview with Turmell on Gaming Age, in which he talks about Smash TV amongst some other things: http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/speci ... &pagenum=1

Anyway, I look forward to seeing an active discussion about Smash TV - it really is a ton of fun and has held up VERY well over the years.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:40 am

I always enjoyed the NES version more than the other versions, but if the creator says it is the worst version well we will just have to add that on.
weasels
Next-Gen

by weasels Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:59 am

my first go on this game was on the PlayStation. cant remember what compilation game it was but i know it was the best on in the pack. i now play it on the snes which is fine by me. i will so play this now.
"ninja's wear clothing of every color so they can blend with the alphabet."-best friend concerning bushido blade 2.
my trade and sell list is right here: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20601

N64, saturn model 2, ds, Dreamcast, ps1, ps2, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, xbox, 3DO, psp slim (v.3001.)
feel free to PM/IM me if you feel like talking to me.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:10 pm

Me and my wife played the Gamecube port for about an hour yesterday. At first she was completely frazzled by the intensity, but once she realized that there was no limit to continues, she got more into it.

It's funny though, if I were pumping quarters into an arcade cab, then I'd probably be super stressed by this game. But the fact that you basically have unlimited lives actually makes it somewhat boring. Know what I mean?

And I highly doubt that anybody could possibly 1CC this thing.
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Yeah, that's one of the problems I have with MAME. It throws the balance of the game completely out of whack. I have to set a budget for myself. "Lets see how far I can get on $5 worth of credits" Not that far for this game. Generally I end up playing older games (i.e. Robotron) that don't let you continue, since the unlimited credits don't change the play balance at all.

BTW, I happened to pick up Robotron 64 last week. Excellent conversion of this game. I also noticed that a number of the level titles were the same as in Smash TV. Not surprising since Robotron and Smash TV were both designed by the same guy.

If you like this kind of game, check out Everyday Shooter too. Excellent game, but it makes me hate Logitech for putting square holes around the thumbsticks on their dual action joypad. I mean really, WTF thought that would be a good idea?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:51 pm

noiseredux wrote:

On that Midway Arcade disc there is an interview where Turmell claims he (and others) have done this...

I am conducting my interview with Jarvis tomorrow afternoon and the Smash TV podcast should be ready to go later this week. I already asked Turmell plenty of questions and have a set of new questions planned for Jarvis, but I thought I'd at least see if there is anything folks wanted me to ask him. I can't promise I will ask them, but feel free to post your queries in this thread!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

On that Midway Arcade disc there is an interview where Turmell claims he (and others) have done this...

Damn, I really should check out all the extras on those discs. I always mean to.
Return to Together Retro