Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: Captain Commando

by racketboy Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:08 am

Trying out this under-loved sidescrolling brawler for August.
Share your thoughts here :)
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2009/08/ ... mando.html
SpaceBooger

Re: Together Retro: Captain Commando

by SpaceBooger Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:27 am

A good reason to boot up the arcade cab again!
Like you Racket, I have never played this game... instead I keep playing the same Beat 'em ups. Time for something new.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Captain Commando is a classic.. I haven't played this gem in years.. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:55 pm

So I just played it on my arcade cab and if I was spending real money I would have gone through at least $8 in quarters. These Capcom beat-em-ups are challenging.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

by Ramatut4001 Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:40 pm

I love Captain Commando. This a TR I can participate in!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Ramatut4001 wrote:I love Captain Commando. This a TR I can participate in!

And I finally realized your avatar is from CC as well :)
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

by Mod_Man_Extreme Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Captain Commando rocks, what other game lets you beat up people in both an aquarium and a space station!?!

None, that's how many.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Yeah, it is pretty hard. That last boss is super cheap too.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
DCsegaDH
128-bit

by DCsegaDH Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:24 pm

The first time I played this game was on the Capcom Classics Collection game,its really fun.
Systems: Sega Dreamcast(x2), Sega Genesis(x2), Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Genmobile (portable Genesis), FC Twin, PSX, PS2(x2), GBA, SP, Xbox 360, N64, Showcase Arcade
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:53 pm

I’m kind of surprised this thread isn’t loaded of reviews and comments for Captain Commando. Sure, it’s a cliché 1990’s side-scrolling beat ‘em up that borrows many elements from other fighters, but it redeems itself by its level designs and great co-op play. Here’s a quick review of my thoughts on the game.

Keeping up with the tradition of every other fighter in the 90’s, Captain Commando’s intro informs us that a bad guy has taken control of a metropolitan city. Captain Commando also keeps the tradition of showing said bad guy looming over the city. It’s the classic beginning to a 90’s video game.

So after you either press start or pop a quarter in, you get a choice of four characters to control: a stock hero, a Ninja, a knife wielding anorexic, and a baby in some type of mini tank. The best way I can describe the Baby Head character is it looks like a baby controlling ED 209.

(btw-if you haven’t seen Robocop lately, shame on you)

Like most beat ‘em ups, each character has their own special move that drains their own energy, but is worth using when surrounded. Mack the Knife’s move reminds me a lot of Leonardo’s move from TMNT 3 on the NES.

The similarities to TMNT, Final Fight, and Streets of Rage don’t stop there. They have similar characters, bosses, health gauges, attacks, power ups, level designs (elevator and surfing come to mind), and stories.
(recognize this guy?)

Does it take anything away from the game? Not to me. It’s still great, but much better when playing with a friend. The point power-ups are great, who knew that collecting Teddy bears and prints of Mona Lisa would be so valuable. The weapons are a refreshing addition too. Grenade launchers, pistols and assault rifles are a welcome change to what would seem to be a regular run of the mill side-scroller. In short, it’s an arcade classic that has aged really well, and is worth a second look –or a first look if you haven’t played it yet.
Return to Together Retro