Post Your Galaga Tips and Tactics

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Post Your Galaga Tips and Tactics

Post by noiseredux »

Okay, so I have a technical (and related) question. I have a PS2. I picked up Namco Museum Vol 1 for PS1 to play Galaga. I also picked up a PS1 memory card so that I could save my high scores. I do NOT have a PS1 at my disposal. How can I format the PS1 card using the PS2? Everytime I try to save, it says: <Save failed> No file found in Memory Card. Register at reception. New card?"
andythebadass
32-bit

Post by andythebadass »

noiseredux wrote:Okay, so I have a technical (and related) question. I have a PS2. I picked up Namco Museum Vol 1 for PS1 to play Galaga. I also picked up a PS1 memory card so that I could save my high scores. I do NOT have a PS1 at my disposal. How can I format the PS1 card using the PS2? Everytime I try to save, it says: <Save failed> No file found in Memory Card. Register at reception. New card?"

pick up a ps2 memory card and try that out.

Systems: NES, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Virtual Boy, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox360, Wii, PS3
Portables: Gameboy, Neo Geo Pocket Color, DS, PSP, iPhone
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

As I recall, if you boot up the PS2 without a disk in the drive you can go to the memory manager, and that will allow you to format the memory card.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPoPo, Thanks, but no. I tried that. It let's me view the files on the PS1 card, but won't let me delete them.

And to Andy, you can't use a PS2 mem card for a PS1 game. If you could, I wouldnt have gone thru the trouble of ordering the PS1 card.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

As it turns out, the PS1 card WAS bad. Got a new one, and it works.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

wow it amazes me that there are people who have never played this game.

anyway, here's the best link for the patterns of the challenge stages:

http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburton/galaga/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm not really into learning the strategies first. I'm enjoying learning them by playing it over and over myself. It's not really my intention to just hurry up and beat it to get it over with. Y'know? I dont read walkthru's/etc unless I'm really, really stuck on a game. Like a few parts of Monkey Island.
geozeldadude
32-bit

Post by geozeldadude »

yeah, i'm totally with you on figuring out stuff for yourself, but i like watching the animated GIFs. ;)

anyway, re: strategy, in the NES game the A button actually shoots your 2 bullets in quick succession, which can be useful and can help save your thumb. i actually found myself alternating between that and the regular shot, depending on the sitch.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so far, my strategy has been (A) turn off the sound... I can't explain why, since the sound effects are so minimal, but I play a lot better without them. And (B) to not rapidly hit the fire button. I tend to shoot way better if I ease up and time my shots as needed, rather than attempt to keep a constant mist of bullets (or lazers or whatever they're sposed to be) flying.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Here's one:

If you accidentally kill a Galaga that captured your ship before it has started the bombing run then you cannot get a dual ship this round. The ship will stay red and perform a single bombing run before disappearing offscreen. While you can kill it and get points, you are better off letting it go. On the next level the red ship will reappear and be capturable again.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.