Join in on our classic gaming club!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Eighties' Ladies' Night

by Gunstar Green Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:31 pm

nullPointer wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
marurun wrote:I mean, really, Samus was ultimately for sex appeal,
I always thought Samus was female because Metroid was kind of going for the Ripley/Alien thing. Am I just naive?

I'm actually not so sure on this either. In retrospect we can certainly look back at it in this way. For a modern gaming audience it's hard to imagine Samus as anything other than a female character, but at the time of its release I feel like the end reveal was rather clever and subversive. "You mean I've been playing as a chick this whole time!? And I didn't get cooties!?"

In truth though I didn't even make this connection as a kid. I took so long to beat Metroid that I only got the ending where her helmet is removed. Like, "Huh, that kind of looks like the dude from Simply Red." :mrgreen:

For the original Metroid the game obviously wasn't being sold for its sex appeal so I kind of agree. It only became a little weird in sequels where you were playing knowing the reward was to take Samus' clothes off even though the twist had already come and gone.
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:For the original Metroid the game obviously wasn't being sold for its sex appeal so I kind of agree. It only became a little weird in sequels where you were playing knowing the reward was to take Samus' clothes off even though the twist had already come and gone.

Admittedly though, was it really a necessary reward in the first game? I would have been happy with just the helmet off. I remember the time fueling all kinds of speculation about Samus not wearing anything at all if you could beat a certain time.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:For the original Metroid the game obviously wasn't being sold for its sex appeal so I kind of agree. It only became a little weird in sequels where you were playing knowing the reward was to take Samus' clothes off even though the twist had already come and gone.

Yes this is an excellent point. The Metroid end reveal certainly became fetishized in sequels. As someone who hasn't played the Prime titles, is this tradition carried on clear through those as well?
Ack wrote:Admittedly though, was it really a necessary reward in the first game? I would have been happy with just the helmet off. I remember the time fueling all kinds of speculation about Samus not wearing anything at all if you could beat a certain time.

Haha ... oh man I remember those rumors as well. Quite the hot playground debate. Definitely one of those where it seemed like someone knew someone who had done it. :lol:
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Ack wrote:Admittedly though, was it really a necessary reward in the first game? I would have been happy with just the helmet off. I remember the time fueling all kinds of speculation about Samus not wearing anything at all if you could beat a certain time.

Maybe, I'm not sure if just taking the helmet off in NES graphics really makes it clear enough though.

nullPointer wrote:

Yes this is an excellent point. The Metroid end reveal certainly became fetishized in sequels. As someone who hasn't played the Prime titles, is this tradition carried on clear through those as well?

The first Prime she just takes off her helmet and is a fairly realistic looking woman but people actually complained and they went back to her stripping down to her Zero Suit and looking more anime styled.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 pm

noiseredux wrote:I always thought Samus was female because Metroid was kind of going for the Ripley/Alien thing. Am I just naive?

I'd like to say it was for the shock factor. "I've been playing as a girl? Woah!" <--How I felt as a kid.

But if that were true, Nintendo could have just had Samus standing without her helmet, with flowing hair, as the best ending. The pixel art there is close enough to call. Instead she becomes gradually more naked the faster your completion time. To me that signifies Nintendo selling her physical attractiveness in a base manner from the get go. Not to mention in recent times, Nintendo has really sleazed up the Zero Suit Samus to obviously vye for sex appeal. I mean, just look at her Amiibo:

Just kidding, Nintendo Amiibos aren't that nice. This is her real one:

I think Nintendo is playing up the sex appeal in that figurine personally.

WELL THEN talking about this gender in gaming stuff is a slippery slope. As your curator I don't want to see ELN turn into a thread debating women's rights in video games. If you all wish to discuss that subject, by all means make a thread specifically for that purpose. I'd prefer we keep the discussion in this thread about its original subject matter, without going too far out in the weeds. Thank you.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Started Dragon Quest II! (The 3DS remake, because I'm not insane).

It's very Dragon Quest so far. It's giving me real Earthbound vibes, tbh, at least with how the combat interface looks. I just hunted all around for my second party member, and now I know where he is! I just don't know where that PLACE is, so now I gotta wander around for that :P
I'm guessing it's to the West of the castle he's from, so I'm headin' there firstly.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 am

Woah, is that 3DS version of DQII available in English? If so it 100% slipped under my radar! I have a deep love for Dragon Quest and might double-dip. But also DQII is easily the worst of the entire series...

I made more progress in Metroid tonight: I got the high jump, another energy tank, Varia, and the ice beam... I also discovered a REALLY annoying pit while exploring a map I found online. After failing to jump out several times I sloooowly killed myself with destructable/respawning blocks (I was planning on stopping playing around the time I fell in the pit anyway). There didn't even seem to be any items down there! It seems like it serves no purpose except to aggravate the player; it's at least as bad as THAT ONE PIT Super Sonic can get stuck in in Mystic Cave Zone in Sonic 2. I wish this game had an option to quit and get a password without having to die first.
Ah well, progress is progress, I'm not too concerned about which ending I'll get. The game is still a lot of fun.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 am

It's been a few days, but I knocked out another one...

This time it was 1987's Titanic Mystery: Melody of Blue for Famicom Disk System. It's a game about being a lady diver, searching the Titanic for fame and profit. You make ze money, you make ze journalists fall in love! Hope you like gettin' lost son. And drownin'. I had a fair time with this madness. Though I've had enough of drawing maps for this TR already. I would have had more fun if this game were in English. Alas, not even a fan translation exists. PS

Full review here.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:46 am

Nemoide wrote:Woah, is that 3DS version of DQII available in English? If so it 100% slipped under my radar! I have a deep love for Dragon Quest and might double-dip. But also DQII is easily the worst of the entire series...

I should have specified I'm playing it in Japanese, sorry :cry:
I have certainly heard that comment about its quality more than once though :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

Exhuminator wrote:I'd like to say it was for the shock factor. "I've been playing as a girl? Woah!" <--How I felt as a kid.

But if that were true, Nintendo could have just had Samus standing without her helmet, with flowing hair, as the best ending.

you make a damn good point here.

Okay, so I'm about 5.5 hrs into Phantasy Star II, and not exactly "far" into it due to lots of grinding. Partly my own playing it safe. Which is to say, after I got Amy I killed an hour or more just leveling her up so she had at least 50 HP before I felt comfortable bringing her into tougher fights; or wanting to augment Rudo and Nei with better weapons, which meant mindless grinding for meseta.

Speaking of the grind, I do have a question about leveling in Phantasy Star. Or maybe a couple. Experience is shared, but I don't know if it's even (as in, if you get 4 XP from a battle, is that 4 for each character?). And clearly each character must have different XP limits for each level, right? Because I've had Rolf and Nei since the beginning of the game, and Nei just hit level 20 where as Rolf is like half that. Anyway, my real real question is that right now I just keep Amy defending in battles because I'm scared of getting her killed (she's at ~50HP when everyone else is at 75-100. She also only has scalpels to fight with...). I'm curious if she gets the same amount of XP for just being in a battle that she would for like... doing something? Basically right now I'm just trying to keep her alive until she becomes a badass lifesaver.

Progress-wise, I just went to the Bio Lab and got the Recorder.
Return to Together Retro