Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Self-intro + my retro review blog! The Annals of Retrodom

by touchofkiel Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi folks! I've been visiting this site for a long time now... had an old account which apparently was deactivated, so here's a new one. I love old games. That's all you need to know!

I've had a number of blogs over the years, mostly the kind of user-blogs at gaming websites: IGN, Destructoid, 1UP (RIP). But I finally started up my own and now I'm trying to post content regularly - about every 3 days. It's mostly retro games, but I do play a lot of new games too - they just take me a lot longer to finish/write about. My current "project" so to speak is a playthrough of all Marvel Comics-based games (almost all... I tend to ignore Amiga/home computer releases). But I pick plenty of other stuff at random too! Currently I'm in the middle of playthroughs for: Air Fortress (NES), FFVII (PS1), Suikoden (PS1), and Greendog (Genesis). I hope to be joining you guys for Together Retro, and I'll no doubt end up posting a review there too.

(If you've ever played Greendog, give yourself a cookie. Fun little game that no one knows about.)

I wanted to share it here because I found a lot of great game blogs in this very forum. Anyways, I call it The Annals of Retrodom and your readership is much appreciated! Check out the index for a full game list - keep in mind I just started it in November, so my game selection is a little scattershot... :D

Full index here.
Last edited by touchofkiel on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Ack

Re: Self-intro + my retro review blog! The Annals of Retrodo

by Ack Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:57 pm

I actually own Greendog. I own less than 10 Genesis games, and somehow that is one of them. I am also rubbish at it. But I will take a cookie.

Welcome to Racketboy. You're among friends here.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Your title for Batman Returns made me laugh out loud. I'll have to check out more of your reviews when I get the chance.
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks, I hope you enjoy reading it! your readership is appreciated :)

Just posted a review of Sunset Riders. I don't really give them scores or anything, so I dunno if it's a review. All the same, enjoy!

http://theannalsofretrodom.blogspot.jp/2016/01/me-ready-for-pow-wow-sunset-riders.html
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 am

Updated!
http://theannalsofretrodom.blogspot.jp/2016/01/with-great-power-spider-man-atari-2600.html

Spider-man for Atari 2600... in a small way, this game helped lay the foundation for future Spider-Man games. Ok, it's a stretch, maybe... but still!

My next post, probably Sunday or Monday, will be the Spider-Man beat-em-up for arcade. It's an odd one, that's for sure.

Also working on a separate page, "The Marvels Project,".... since, you know, that seems to comprise about 75% of all the games I write about. Figure it's better to consolidate it that way.

As always, your readership is much obliged!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Big props for writing about an Atari game!

Oh how I loved that X-Men arcade. It always felt very easy to me, probably because I typically had five other people playing with me.
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:16 am

Yeah, it's not easy to write about an Atari game... which is why half of that post isn't even about the game itself! But it's all part of the project, so...

I do like the X-Men arcade game, but as I mentioned, I think it doesn't hold up as well as other brawlers. The gameplay is definitely designed with multiple people in mind, much more so than other brawlers. Still one of the most impressive brawlers of that time, though.
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:11 am

Updated! It must be Spider-Man week, because I have another Spidey post in the works...

But then again, I have a number of unpublished drafts.

So here's a question for my fellow reviewers: do you publish immediately after writing? I'm busy with a full time job, so I try to keep a bunch of finished, unpublished in the backlog for when I get super busy.

In fact, most of this month's posts were all written during my winter vacation. I wouldn't have had the time to update 2-3x a week otherwise.

As always, any feedback is appreciated, and also game requests! Though I can't promise I would get to them immediately.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:59 am

I actually started site/blog in 2011 and ran it a couple years and then scrapped it. So I've started over recently and what I've done is anything new I write gets posted immediately. But I also have an archived file of old articles and I've been staggering re-uploading those mixed in with the new stuff.
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:46 am

Nice, I'll check it out.

A couple of mine have been re-writes with better screenshots from an old blog of mine, but I've almost run out of those.
Return to Game Reviews