Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
m0ondogy

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

Post by m0ondogy »

Hello everybody. I'd like to start tossing out some reviews for some games that I manage to find time to play. This is my first major post outside the welcome thread, though I have been lurking for some time. I hope to do more of these for both old and new games as my schedule for playing is now free to play more game.

The Game: Rise of the Tomb Raider
on Xbox One

How'd it look?

I can't complain. It looks as solid as a modern title should. The lighting, character models, and general aesthetics are easy to look at. Ultimately, the overall look is the same as the first title, Tomb Raider (2013), with the slight bump in quality you would expect from a quick sequel. The snow covered mountain setting is a nice change from the rocky shores of the first game, but that doesn't stop the game from having humid caves, tropical forest, and old soviet military basses to look at throughout the game. Again, if you played the first, you'll recognize the look and notice marginal increase in quality.

How'd it play?

Welp, just like the first. You start off with a small arsenal and build it up as you play. the shooting mechanics are solid for a 3rd person shooter. The bow mechanic is still the star of the show. Its better than most bows in video games, though I feel like they made it easier to use. The platforming is the exact same with a few new ways to climb things tossed in. The new things like grappling rope axe swing didn't really add anything to the game, and were generally tossed into the platforming sections simply to show off the mechanic. Again, If you played the first, you'll feel at home here despite the slightly easier feel overall.

How' the story?

Can't say it was bad, so it has that going for it. It just wasn't good. In my opinion, the 2013 game was surprising in its quality story. Though it was nothing special, it breathed life into a dead and dying franchise. It was enjoyable watching her grow into a Tomb Raider by the end.

Here, it feels like we are following the exact same story arc. Determined girl, to lost and in distress, to warrior. It took me about half way through the first game to feel like I could conquer anything the game put in front of me. In the new one, I felt that way only an hour or so in. Partially due to the game being just a bit easier overall and the lack of learning curve from me having played the first game.

The actual story itself is a bit more restrained at parts and a bit more out there at others. On paper, though, it all sounds way out there. Secret order of some secret church, some sort of Holy Grail like item, surviving in the mountains (plus swimming a lot) with just jeans and a parka, Greek fire, monster like creatures. It all works in a self contained package, except I knew what to expect because the story beats are the same as the first game. Major let down here.

On the other hand, the collectibles and the story they tell is much more intriguing this time around. We get to hear about the old Soviet base leadership, an old knight tracking a tribe on the run from Rome to Siberia, Mine workers, and a ship captain stranded. Check those out if you can.

So, What didn't I like?

The story was a rehash, the game was easier overall despite picking the second to hardest option, the new mechanics were just useless, and the weapons were to OP.

A few of the mini bosses were killed within seconds by using easy to obtain secondary ammo types. These mini bosses were introduced with mini cut scenes and then killed before they even had a chance to attack me. I had to force myself to take them on using conventional weapons. Eventually, with upgrades these became to powerful too. Its not the end of the world, but Id like more of a challenge.

There is an outpost at one point of the game where you can buy things with collected currency (probably real money too), but they were so over priced that I never bothered to go back. By the end of the game I had enough to buy one item. ~300 coins when a large pile would net you ~7 coins. I found it just impossible to collect enough.

The map was layed out much the same as the first with many camps scattered throughout for me to fast travel too. They were more "segmented," so trying to figure out which fast travel camp to pick to go back to and find that hidden tomb or collectible was a bit of a chore. It wasn't the worst, but it actually was a bit annoying picking the wrong one despite it being the closet on the map. This could use work for the next one.

The secondary firing on some weapons just never seemed to work. Like the multi target lock on for the bow. Its no real loss, but it would be nice to get those working or a mini lesson other than one quick text box that is never to be seen again.

So, What did I like?

The overall feel of the game was just a blast. I enjoyed shooting arrows and stealthing through each section of bad guys. Yes, stealth is much easier this time and much more of an option. The few scripted battles were fun, though a bit easy.

The platforming puzzles in the hidden tombs were much better and numerous this time around. I wish they had more of these, but Im happy with what we got.

The story, despite all its flaws, was still fun to watch unfold. I don't really dread replaying it a year or two down the line.

Again, the bow mechanics stick out as the star of the show. Despite the nerfing of its difficulty.
summarize it!

If the first game is a solid 8 or 9, as it is IMO. This one is a solid 7.5 or 8.

It just wasn't as good, but it sure didn't suck. It was over a bit quick but that's because it was easy. The story was the same, but that's ultimately okay. I loved the mechanics of climbing, jumping, and shooting. Should you buy it now? No. Wait until the definitive edition come out in a year+ time at a discounted price.

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think of the review and the game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

Post by Xeogred »

m0ondogy wrote:Should you buy it now? No. Wait until the definitive edition come out in a year+ time at a discounted price.

Simple and to the point review. I like it. Sounds like a "solid" game like most of the series to me. I really dug the reboot, so I'll probably check this out, hopefully when the Ultimate Edition hits the PS4 sometime next year or whenever.
m0ondogy

Post by m0ondogy »

Xeogred wrote:
m0ondogy wrote:Should you buy it now? No. Wait until the definitive edition come out in a year+ time at a discounted price.

Simple and to the point review. I like it. Sounds like a "solid" game like most of the series to me. I really dug the reboot, so I'll probably check this out, hopefully when the Ultimate Edition hits the PS4 sometime next year or whenever.

Thanks.

I wonder if they will release the PS4 & PC ports with the DLC included, or they will hold it back in order to milk us?

either way, hold back your expectations a bit for this one (I got a but to hyped for it. Totally my genre of game) and you'll be happy with it just like the first.
Marina0403
8-bit

Post by Marina0403 »

OOOOH :!:
It's great) I like it. I played game on 49% and can't stop now(