Daria Reviews-Now showing: Wonder Project J [SNES]

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Daria
24-bit

Re: Daria Reviews-Now showing: Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

Post by Daria »

Sarge wrote:Probably a good reason to go at it, then. I've really been into the short games recently.

I hear you there. Even if I wasn't feeling pressured to maintain some semblance of a schedule I just don't have the free time and attention span for marathon games. Quicker titles like Spike are really a welcome change of pace.
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
Daria
24-bit

Re: Daria Reviews-Now showing: Gunman's Proof [SNES]

Post by Daria »

Time for the new video bump!

July 27 2016 - Gunman's Proof it's like A Link to the Past with a machine gun
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I actually watched this a few days ago as I'm a subscriber. 8)

Fantastic video as always. You and I have very similar tastes in games.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I actually watched this a few days ago as I'm a subscriber. 8)

Fantastic video as always. You and I have very similar tastes in games.

With that in mind if you ever have any suggestions on what I should try let me know. :P

August 23 2016 - Dragon's View - The BEST Beat-Em-Up RPG You've NEVER Played (Unless You Have)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Daria Reviews-Now showing: Dragon's View [SNES]

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ha! Watched this and the Hillsfar vid right before you posted here. The perks of being a subscriber. Good stuff. I just got Dragon View and now I'm itching to play it.

I gotta admit, I kinda do like Drakkhen though. :shock:

Forgot how early Drakkhen was released. Early SNES RPGs are wild. For the record, I think this is the second RPG on the system though I have yet to play it. (There's also ActRasier, which dropped in '90, though that isn't a "true" RPG.)

Daria wrote:With that in mind if you ever have any suggestions on what I should try let me know. :P

Nothing specific, but I especially enjoy your import reviews. Keep 'em coming.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Ha! Watched this and the Hillsfar vid right before you posted here. The perks of being a subscriber. Good stuff. I just got Dragon View and now I'm itching to play it.

I gotta admit, I kinda do like Drakkhen though. :shock:

Forgot how early Drakkhen was released. Early SNES RPGs are wild. For the record, I think this is the second RPG on the system though I have yet to play it. (There's also ActRasier, which dropped in '90, though that isn't a "true" RPG.)

Daria wrote:With that in mind if you ever have any suggestions on what I should try let me know. :P

Nothing specific, but I especially enjoy your import reviews. Keep 'em coming.

Well I have Treasure Hunter G paused at the moment. So expect another one soonish!

And ya know - I don't know if Drakkhen was first in Japan too or just the US. JD Leen looks weird - like the graphics are a bit generic but the monster sprites are freaky (Jason masks?). Has a horror/Sci-fi vibe. But the portraits and cutscenes are really detailed. Dammit now I'm curious and I know it's Japanese only. :P
Ack

Post by Ack »

Drakkhen was originally a computer game for the Amiga and Atari ST in 1989. The ports were relatively quick and perhaps a little dirty to the Super Famicom and SNES, but some important changes were made that actually make the console port easier to play, such as certain super monsters not being able to attack you and an expanded set of songs. There are some cool factors to it, like a day-night cycle, but for the most part it's a mess.

Now is it the worst RPG on the SNES? I couldn't say officially since I haven't played them all, though I'd have a hard time picking between Drakkhen and Secret of the Stars if those were my only two options. I have beaten both, and both have some significant flaws that really hurt them, as well as some ideas that are at least inventive.

It is possible to avoid the true supermonsters in Drakkhen though. You just have to avoid looking at certain constellations in the sky, avoid crossroads, and avoid bumping into grave markers. Since the game automates fights and you can get into encounters while standing still, you can actually set the controller down and let the game play itself to grind though. You just have to check it every now and again to ensure you haven't gotten stuck on a merchant encounter.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Dragon View is awesome. I will always sing its praises.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

Ack wrote:Drakkhen was originally a computer game for the Amiga and Atari ST in 1989. The ports were relatively quick and perhaps a little dirty to the Super Famicom and SNES, but some important changes were made that actually make the console port easier to play, such as certain super monsters not being able to attack you and an expanded set of songs. There are some cool factors to it, like a day-night cycle, but for the most part it's a mess.

Now is it the worst RPG on the SNES? I couldn't say officially since I haven't played them all, though I'd have a hard time picking between Drakkhen and Secret of the Stars if those were my only two options. I have beaten both, and both have some significant flaws that really hurt them, as well as some ideas that are at least inventive.

It is possible to avoid the true supermonsters in Drakkhen though. You just have to avoid looking at certain constellations in the sky, avoid crossroads, and avoid bumping into grave markers. Since the game automates fights and you can get into encounters while standing still, you can actually set the controller down and let the game play itself to grind though. You just have to check it every now and again to ensure you haven't gotten stuck on a merchant encounter.

It's no Dragon View tho. ;)

It's funny - after writing the script and recording the voice over I went back to Drakkhen to capture some game footage. It's probably the third time in my life I've attempted to play the game, and I was kind of digging it. I like the mix of point and click and RPG - still didn't get very far and was promptly eaten by that weird dog head - but I can see myself playing it now. When I do revisit it I'll take your advice and autogrind a bit. Just need to jump over than beginning level hurdle.
Daria
24-bit

Re: Daria Reviews-Now showing: Dragon Quest 7 [3DS]

Post by Daria »

This one is a little different for my channel. For one thing it's about a new game, and it's not a review as much as a comparison video

September 20 2016 - Dragon Quest 7 - The differences between the PSX and 3DS versions