Daria Reviews-Now showing: Wonder Project J [SNES]

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Daria
24-bit

Re: Daria Reviews-Now showing: Unepic Adventures for the Gen

Post by Daria »

SNESdrunk wrote:Never heard of any of these. Traysia truly looks terrible, woof. But I think I'd actually like Fatal Labyrinth.

Well I mean it's not like they're on the SNES or anything. ;)
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Great video. I've always enjoyed Fatal Labyrinth, but now I want to pick up the other two.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Great video. I've always enjoyed Fatal Labyrinth, but now I want to pick up the other two.

I didn't realize it when I was making the video. But apparently both of those (especially Sorcerer's Kingdom) have gotten pretty pricey in recent years. :/
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.
Daria
24-bit

Re: Daria Reviews-Now showing: 15 Influential RPGs of the 19

Post by Daria »

So in this video - which is less a review than it is a report. I briefly introduce 15 classic titles and explain why I think they were important in shaping the genre conventions that we're used to today.

April 11 2016 - The 15 Most Influential RPGs of the 1980s
Ack

Post by Ack »

I will nitpick a little and say you could have shown more examples of influence, particularly with Rogue. Beyond just being the progenitor of a successful subgenres, it has hopped the genre barrier and become an influence on FPS in recent years too, like Ziggurat or Tower of Guns.

Overall though, interesting video! Thank you for sharing.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

Ack wrote:I will nitpick a little and say you could have shown more examples of influence, particularly with Rogue. Beyond just being the progenitor of a successful subgenres, it has hopped the genre barrier and become an influence on FPS in recent years too, like Ziggurat or Tower of Guns.

I will admit I'm ignorant when it comes to FPS games. But I was trying to keep the scope of the video to JRPGs specifically. But that's an interesting point. Thanks!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Awesome video. I was gonna give you shit for skipping Ys in 1987 but then you redeemed yourself with the 1989 inclusion of I & II. :lol:

And holy shit someone else knows about Panorama Toh.

Cute Evolution outro.

To follow up on the ending - if I had to include one more game I think I would have snuck Dungeons of Daggorath in there. Maybe an early D&D title.

Oh, and in the intro, what's the "sword" game? And the one with the minotaur?
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Awesome video. I was gonna give you shit for skipping Ys in 1987 but then you redeemed yourself with the 1989 inclusion of I & II. :lol:

And holy shit someone else knows about Panorama Toh.

Cute Evolution outro.

To follow up on the ending - if I had to include one more game I think I would have snuck Dungeons of Daggorath in there. Maybe an early D&D title.

Oh, and in the intro, what's the "sword" game? And the one with the minotaur?

The "sword" game was random Japanese RPG that popped up when I searched google for PC-88 games >.> Maybe you can tell me what it is?

https://youtu.be/zrA8fqICt7U

The minotaur was from Hillsfar on NES. I was low on hard drive space and recycled a clip from an unpublished review.

And yeah I tossed in Evolution because of the "evolving genre" into the 90s. Been throwing in a few visual puns now and then. Waiting for viewers to catch on. XD

Annnd yeah I just didn't want to list Ys twice.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sword game. :wink:
http://www.legendra.com/rpg/fiche-rpg_i ... id-33.html

Ah, Hillsfar! I used to make jokes about that game. "Those hills sure are far!" I was a clever youth. Never played the NES port, unfortunately.

And the Evolution pun flew right over my head. If you make a 90s video you can always use one of those E.V.O. fish turning into an amphibian.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Awesome video, I really enjoyed it!

Ack wrote:I will nitpick a little and say you could have shown more examples of influence, particularly with Rogue. Beyond just being the progenitor of a successful subgenres, it has hopped the genre barrier and become an influence on FPS in recent years too, like Ziggurat or Tower of Guns.

Yeah, the concept of Rogue's perma-death has gotten its tendrils into everything with the modern idea of Rogue-likes or Rogue-lites as I've heard some people call them. No genre is safe.