Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: 600 Games - Review Database

by Sarge Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Westane wrote:Chrono Trigger - 10

#DealWithIt 8)

This is the correct response.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Westane
32-bit

by Westane Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Sarge wrote:
Westane wrote:Chrono Trigger - 10

#DealWithIt 8)

This is the correct response.

I don't know that there was any other response :P

Anyway...

Super Metroid - 9.5

I'd never really understood the hype around that game until now... since then I've beaten it twice!

And that concludes another console. In about a week I'll be starting in on the RPG heaven/hell that is the Playstation.

SNES Retrospective
193 Game Analysis
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:32 am

Might be a good idea if it's easy to do, to make the individual pictures be links to each review? Just a thought.

Have you ever found your opinion of previously reviewed games changing drastically during this project? Like if you play a great action adventure that made you realise that a previous one was kind of average.

Also do you score games more in the context of the system, the generation, or compared to everything you've played?
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Westane
32-bit

by Westane Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:43 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:Might be a good idea if it's easy to do, to make the individual pictures be links to each review? Just a thought.

Have you ever found your opinion of previously reviewed games changing drastically during this project? Like if you play a great action adventure that made you realise that a previous one was kind of average.

Also do you score games more in the context of the system, the generation, or compared to everything you've played?

Heya!

For the pictures, I'm not 100% sure what you mean? I'm pretty much working within the confines of WordPress' hosted solution for the blog.

Regarding shifting opinions, yes actually, and that's something I think about whenever I go through past reviews. A lot of that has to do with the fact that my attitude and metrics have changed over the course of the project, and will probably continue to do so. A lot of older games probably deserved higher scores, but I tend to score low anyway so I don't know. For the most part I'm pretty happy with the scores I've given and my opinions on games are mostly the same, but I'd love to find the time to re-review older consoles, particularly the NES and Game Boy.

I score based on all the factors listed actually, and differently for each category. I tend to try to stick to console/generation, but there's also a factor of how well things hold up. I mean Mega Man X's visuals obviously aren't on par with, say, Final Fantasy X, but they're really good for a 16-bit game, and hold up great today, so they score high. Music is pretty universal, Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is just as good now as it was 20 years ago, and will continue to be excellent 20 years from now. Short answer: It depends.

In other news...

Bloody Roar II - 6.9

Also, spoiler alert, I'm leaning heavily towards not finishing Breath of Fire III. After 16 hours the game is just not doing it for me...
Westane
32-bit

by Westane Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:51 am

Return to Game Reviews