600 Games - Review Database

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Westane
32-bit

Re: 600 Games - Review Database

Post by Westane »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:May people here weren't crazy about EarthBound, from what I recall.

I feel like it's one of those games where if you missed the boat on it, it just didn't have that same impact as people who played it back in the day.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:May people here weren't crazy about EarthBound, from what I recall.

Many people were wrong and should be ashamed of themselves :wink:

I feel like it's one of those games where if you missed the boat on it, it just didn't have that same impact as people who played it back in the day.

I adored Earthbound when I played it for the first time a couple years back (after it was released on Wii U), but I can see why some people wouldn't appreciate it's old-fashioned interface and battle system.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Yoshi's Island was a lot better than I remember... and longer...

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - 9.0
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

As good as it ever was!

Final Fantasy VI - 9.7
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Little tired of 16-bit Street Fighter at this point...

Super Mario World now takes the top spot and while I definitely have more fun with other games due to personal preferences, it felt wrong to score it any lower than I did.

Also glad to FINALLY have played through Link to the Past. Didn't like it as much as Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time, but I think that's a product of playing it as late as I did. Still excellent.

Street Fighter II: Turbo - 7.8
Super Mario World - 9.9
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past - 9.2
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I feel ya on Link's Awakening. Not so much Ocarina, but then again, after playing the remake, I have to admit it's a fantastic Zelda game. I think the technical jank of the N64 didn't do the game any favors back when it was released.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Chrono Trigger - 10

#DealWithIt 8)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Westane wrote:Chrono Trigger - 10

#DealWithIt 8)

This is the correct response.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Sarge wrote:
Westane wrote:Chrono Trigger - 10

#DealWithIt 8)

This is the correct response.

I don't know that there was any other response :P

Anyway...

Super Metroid - 9.5

I'd never really understood the hype around that game until now... since then I've beaten it twice!

And that concludes another console. In about a week I'll be starting in on the RPG heaven/hell that is the Playstation.

SNES Retrospective
193 Game Analysis
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

PresidentLeever wrote:Might be a good idea if it's easy to do, to make the individual pictures be links to each review? Just a thought.

Have you ever found your opinion of previously reviewed games changing drastically during this project? Like if you play a great action adventure that made you realise that a previous one was kind of average.

Also do you score games more in the context of the system, the generation, or compared to everything you've played?

Heya!

For the pictures, I'm not 100% sure what you mean? I'm pretty much working within the confines of WordPress' hosted solution for the blog.

Regarding shifting opinions, yes actually, and that's something I think about whenever I go through past reviews. A lot of that has to do with the fact that my attitude and metrics have changed over the course of the project, and will probably continue to do so. A lot of older games probably deserved higher scores, but I tend to score low anyway so I don't know. For the most part I'm pretty happy with the scores I've given and my opinions on games are mostly the same, but I'd love to find the time to re-review older consoles, particularly the NES and Game Boy.

I score based on all the factors listed actually, and differently for each category. I tend to try to stick to console/generation, but there's also a factor of how well things hold up. I mean Mega Man X's visuals obviously aren't on par with, say, Final Fantasy X, but they're really good for a 16-bit game, and hold up great today, so they score high. Music is pretty universal, Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is just as good now as it was 20 years ago, and will continue to be excellent 20 years from now. Short answer: It depends.

In other news...

Bloody Roar II - 6.9

Also, spoiler alert, I'm leaning heavily towards not finishing Breath of Fire III. After 16 hours the game is just not doing it for me...