600 Games - Review Database

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Westane
32-bit

600 Games - Review Database

Post by Westane »

Hopefully it doesn't bother anyone if I make a thread here to consolidate and track the game reviews for my project.

Overview:
- All reviews are written, no major demand for video content yet.
- All reviews are written in the style of a playthrough/journal, and as such hold nothing back in the way of spoilers!
- I didn't get my PVR until the end of the NES games Final Fantasy Adventure on the Gameboy, so early reviews have an... interesting "quality" of screenshots...
- I'll only update/bump this thread when a new review has been completed. For a daily update on the game I'm playing check the 600 Games Project link in my sig.
- All comments and criticism welcome!

NES Games:

GB/GBC Games:

Genesis Games:

SNES Games:

Playstation Games:

Ongoing Analysis (Updates after each console completion):
Playthrough Analysis - 193 Games
Playthrough Analysis - 146 Games
Playthrough Analysis - 98 Games
Playthrough Analysis - 48 Games
Last edited by Westane on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:52 am, edited 61 times in total.
Westane
32-bit

Re: 600 Games - Review Database

Post by Westane »

New Review: Pokemon Red/Blue
https://600games.wordpress.com/2015/08/ ... -red-blue/

Gameboy Retrospective and 98 Game Analysis incoming...

EDIT: Gameboy Retrospective added.

EDIT 2: And the 98 Games Analysis is up.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

PresidentLeever wrote:"Fun : 20
Relevance : 10
Replayability : 15
Survivability : 10
Total : 55"

Really confused about this after reading one of your reviews (Faxanadu). You barely complained about anything and it gets 55/100? I also didn't feel like you motivated your scores for some of the different categories that well. Some short summary of your thoughts under each might be a good idea for future reviews.

Edit: Made a bit more sense after thoroughly reading the journal part, but I feel like I shouldn't have to do that in a review for it to make sense.

Regarding the GR lists, the one for GEN/MD kind of sucks. I mean they're putting a so-so port of a good Amiga game and some mediocre stuff like Bonanza Bros, Dizzy, Flicky and a Snooker game in a top 50, and the order of the list seems almost completely random.

All valid points.

The scores themselves should be taken with a grain of salt, and you'll also find that I generally score on the lower end. Super Mario Bros. 3 is my highest scored game at 84... With Faxanadu in particular, I'd still only just started this project, and if you look at reviews for games like Link's Awakening for example, you'll see I've refined the process a good bit over eight months. As far as expanding on each category, that's something I've considered, and changing it up in the future is still a possibility.

Regarding the value in the actual scores, the meat really is in the playthrough sections, since that's kind of the big reason as to why I'm doing this. Faxanadu is one of my personal favorite NES games, but if I'm trying to be even a little objective, it doesn't hold up the best, it wasn't particularly relevant to the NES' lifecycle, and after beating it I don't really have a good reason to play it again. I feel like these are more important metrics when rating retro games that graphics, sound, story, etc.

Finally, regarding the GR lists, I actually agree completely, especially on the Genesis list. The reason I went with them is consistency in the sense that I couldn't find another good site with Top XX Games lists for ALL of the consoles I was going through. Plus, it is doing its job in getting me to play new games.

Thanks for the input!

Also Skitchin' review will be up momentarily...
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

PresidentLeever wrote:...but at the same time, it might be one of the first that people are going to read...

That's definitely been something I thought about, but ultimately I decided it would be worse for me to go back and retroactively update everything, than to leave it intact and risk some embarrassment. In the end I think I'd prefer to be able to look back and see growth, than to be constantly going back to fix my mistakes.

It was also decided early in the project that I'm not out to be a "proper" review blog. I'm really not trying to tell people whether or not they should play these games. The focus is really more like "Hey, I played this game and here's what I though about... and here's a review score just for the hell of it."
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Two new Genesis reviews, now with included gameplay videos!

General Chaos - 57
https://600games.wordpress.com/2015/08/ ... ral-chaos/

Bonanza Brothers - 53
https://600games.wordpress.com/2015/08/ ... -brothers/
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Two more Genesis games.

Tyrants: Fight Through Time - 43
https://600games.wordpress.com/2015/08/ ... ough-time/

Ghouls 'n Ghosts - 65
https://600games.wordpress.com/2015/09/ ... -n-ghosts/
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Just finished a pretty huge site overhaul, which includes a major change to review methodology (You win, Leever! :D). The full post is here:

http://600-games.com/2015/09/03/massive ... #more-2099
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

New review:
Columns

Also finished updating all review scores using the new metric, and updated the 98 Games analysis to reflect that. All on the site's front page.