How Do YOU Capture Retro Game Footage?

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Ghudda
128-bit

Re: How Do YOU Capture Retro Game Footage?

Post by Ghudda »

the7k wrote:With my Saturn, though, I use a SCART-to-HDMI converter. Planning to do the same for PS1 and any other retro systems Retron 5 doesn't support. http://www.amazon.com/CVID-BG-460-Syste ... 00988GMLG/

I need to get me one of these. I have scart cables for most of my retro consoles to use with my PMV, but there are times I want to hook up my retro stuff to my HD tv. Does it work well? Reviews are pretty damn solid.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

I've not had any problems with it, and I've run a variety of games on it. Vampire Savior has some tight links (1-2 frame) and I was able to pull them off with no more trouble than I would have any other time.

I know a lot of people will harp on how I should get a XRGB or whatever the hell those $400 upscalers are, but screw that. That's pretty much an entire paycheck down the drain.

If you check my YouTubes, my Alien Trilogy vid was shot with it and my upcoming Waku Waku 7 vid used it as well.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Not really important for me to record any footage usually so I never did any upgrading of hardware for many years on this setup, but both of my old capture devices accept S-Video. The 2nd one I bought was really cheap, and USB (I'd estimate it's worth $25 now). I generally record at 720x480 using the huffyuv codec, then manually deinterlace, crop, scale, and re-encode the output.
All of this is done in Virtualdubmod, a free program with a pile of free plugins I gathered. When I'm finished, the output before encoding looks very close to an emulator screenshot - every pixel is 1:1. It's not realtime, but it works on nearly every old console I've got. Composite is another deal entirely, but I have a set of 3 plugins that'll eliminate the rainbowing and color fringing pretty well.
Apparently the last time I used it was 2010 for Nathan's Neogeo remix challenge:
http://www3.telus.net/anapan8/NeoGeo_vi ... d_test.avi
^the colors on the video are indicative of the final color static present (xvid wouldn't change a color it it wasn't different on the next frame), but sharpness and clarity without ringing was excellent.

I did have one of the old capture cards set up to output and record S-video realtime years ago by chaining in the FFdshow codec into the capture and view chain @ YUY2 24-bit RAW. It was good after a bunch of tweaking and amazingly did okay on my old windows 98 machine, but the deinterlacing was not proper - it was interpolated - good for TV viewing but not 240P gaming. I assume it's so ancient a process now (Does windows still support WDM stuff?) it's like pointless to try to recreate.

If I were to try and record realtime, for like Twitch or something, I'd like to have a blackmagic HDMI capture card, with my XRGB pumping HDMI 480P into it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

All my retro consoles run through my XRGB Framemeister, with outputs HDMI, so...

The retro consoles all funnel through SCART and S-Video switches into the XRGB, which runs to an HDMI Splitter. One cable from the splitter goes to the TV, while the other runs into the AverMedia PVR. Additionally, I have an HDMI Hub that runs into a splitter. One cable goes into the second HDMI input on the TV, and the other goes into one of the XRGB's HDMI inputs. That way I can run newer games straight through the TV, or through the XRGB for recording.

I may one day buy another HDMI hub so I can keep everything on the same input, but I kind of like having that physical generation gap, if you will.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm just getting into this stuff. Warning: lots of n00bish banter and questions ahead.

I've had this bastard kicking around for a few years now, but only got around to using it the other evening. Software installs fine but I can't seem to record footage. The audio works, but the video doesn't. What's odd is that I get just a flash of video when I start and stop the recording, but nothing else. I dunno if the card doesn't like my OS or what, but at this point I'm ready to throw in the towel and get a decent (ie: not cheap with shitty reviews) capture card. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Do any cards support composite and HDMI? (I assume that I can run an old RF system through a VCR/DVD player and then use composite?)

Also, I know some folks (like the AVGN) just use a DVD recorder with DVD-Rs (or whatever). This looks a bit more tedious, but somewhat preferable to hooking my consoles up to my PC. Anyone use this method?
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Also, I know some folks (like the AVGN) just use a DVD recorder with DVD-Rs (or whatever). This looks a bit more tedious, but somewhat preferable to hooking my consoles up to my PC. Anyone use this method?

That's the way I record all my SD footage, from Famicom to PS2. It works great and I never have to worry about the computer having a hiccup when I record. All my old consoles output RGB and the DVD Recorder accepts RGB, so the quality is great as well. Afterwards I just rip the DVD on my computer and do whatever's needed with the footage. I find the setup very convenient.
BossKnight

Post by BossKnight »

I apologize if this was answered, but has anyone tried using something like the Elgato Analog Capture card? It's used mainly for plugging into VCR's and recording the footage from the VHS to your PC/Mac. I can't get much info on the device other than unboxing videos.

My current setup requires converting RCA to HDMI which dilutes the video quality of games because they weren't meant to be used with HDMI. I'd like to change that and avoid spending $300 on something like the Framemeister.
Video Game Reviews
Nerd & Geek Culture
BossKnight Films
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

BossKnight wrote:I apologize if this was answered, but has anyone tried using something like the Elgato Analog Capture card?

I have both Elgato capture devices and have recorded TONS of footage with the older white one on my channel. My first 200 videos on YouTube will exclusively with the Elgato Video Capture. It works great for composite and s-video.

https://www.elgato.com/en/video/video-capture
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Got one of the Elgato analog cards based on the recommendations here. Haven't tried it out yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Daria
24-bit

Post by Daria »

Emulator and OBS. >.>

I love my consoles, but this is just so damn convenient.
Check out my YouTube Channel DariaPlays for super nerdy video reviews on classic RPGs and Adventure titles. Bonus: I don't suck! Pinky-swear.