How do you all deal with copyright holders?

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: How do you all deal with copyright holders?

Post by ZeroAX »

BRIK wrote:I guess since this post has been bumped, I should mention that my review of Metal Gear Solid got flagged because of a cutscene. So much for not doing anything Konami again... or for that matter not worrying about cutscenes in old games being picked up =/

To be fair with MGS if you are watching the cut scenes on youtube it's like you are pirating the entire game.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

I've been flagged for the longass SNES music videos I put up, but I don't have those videos monetized or anything, so all I have to do is "acknowledge third party content," it disables the ability to monetize and that's it. I haven't been flagged for any reviews or anything like that.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

For reviews, I simply put a disclaimer about how the video falls under fair use at the bottom of the description. This makes the YouTube system approve videos for monetization very quickly most of the time. Never had an issue with reviews, but most of them are for games which came out before the sixth generation.

For Let's Plays, I've only ever monetized videos when I've had explicit permission from the game creators or it's said clearly in their T.O.S. Never had an issue. The same goes for previewing new games or indie games. However, even if you have permission from a developer, the game can contain music you might not have permission to use, and it could still get flagged. Matched third-party content has appeared in let's plays I never monetized, but it has never affected anything.

If you put in any cutscenes from a Konami game, regardless of what your video is, it will almost always get crawled and flagged automatically for copyrighted content. So, if you want to review a Konami game, avoid putting in cutscenes.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Ya ever tried mirroring or zooming in on the cut-scenes? It seems to work for a lot of folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuTHhtCyzLg
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

ZeroAX wrote:
BRIK wrote:I guess since this post has been bumped, I should mention that my review of Metal Gear Solid got flagged because of a cutscene. So much for not doing anything Konami again... or for that matter not worrying about cutscenes in old games being picked up =/

To be fair with MGS if you are watching the cut scenes on youtube it's like you are pirating the entire game.

I didn't just upload a video of the cutscenes, I just partly added in some for the benefit of the review since the cutscenes are such a huge part of the game. I don't want to leave them out just because of crappy software that doesn't recognise fair use; that would ruin my review.

Czernobog wrote:For reviews, I simply put a disclaimer about how the video falls under fair use at the bottom of the description. This makes the YouTube system approve videos for monetization very quickly most of the time.

I highly doubt the system recognises what you put in the description box. The software matches up video and audio from uploaded videos and compares them to a datebase contributed to by copyright holders.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

BRIK wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:To be fair with MGS if you are watching the cut scenes on youtube it's like you are pirating the entire game.

I didn't just upload a video of the cutscenes, I just partly added in some for the benefit of the review since the cutscenes are such a huge part of the game. I don't want to leave them out just because of crappy software that doesn't recognise fair use; that would ruin my review.

It was a joke mate ;)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

ZeroAX wrote:
BRIK wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:To be fair with MGS if you are watching the cut scenes on youtube it's like you are pirating the entire game.

It was a joke mate ;)

I see. It flew right over my head lol. My bad.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

BRIK wrote:I see. It flew right over my head lol. My bad.

Yeah it happens to me all the time too when I'm speed reading, reading it on my phone/tablet or just when it's damn late and I'm up posting stuff on racketboy :lol: , so no biggy
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

BRIK wrote:
Czernobog wrote:For reviews, I simply put a disclaimer about how the video falls under fair use at the bottom of the description. This makes the YouTube system approve videos for monetization very quickly most of the time.

I highly doubt the system recognises what you put in the description box. The software matches up video and audio from uploaded videos and compares them to a datebase contributed to by copyright holders.

Without the description monetizing videos has taken me 24 hours, and with the description it's never taken more than three minutes. That's just my experience and I can't really prove it, but I have been told multiple times in the past by other YouTubers that the description is taken into account by the system when you initially publish the videos. The crawlers that match up the video/audio and flag them later weren't really what I was talking about in that part of what I was saying, just the initial monetization being approved or not.
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

Fair enough. I guess if you did write something in the box like "boxing scene from Rocky" it would be fairly easy for a system to pick that up and tag it as an infringement.