Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Fragems
Next-Gen

How do you all deal with copyright holders?

by Fragems Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 pm

At the point that I have my setup pretty much where I want it to be and I'm ready to try my hand at a few reviews. However I'm trying to figure out how I should approach my reviews seeing as all this copy right BS has been going on the last few years.

Had a few questions for current reviewers using Youtube.

Do you ever ask for permissions from publishers and if so do they ever respond?

Do you ever have trouble with copy right on older games say 5-10+ years old?

Are there any publishers I should avoid like the plague? I've heard bad things about Sega and Nintendo mostly :P.

Any pointers would be appreciated thanks :).

Edit:
I don't plan to monetize my videos but I wouldn't be to happy with spending time on them only to have them blocked :P.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: How do you all deal with copyright holders?

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Fragems wrote:At the point that I have my setup pretty much where I want it to be and I'm ready to try my hand at a few reviews. However I'm trying to figure out how I should approach my reviews seeing as all this copy right BS has been going on the last few years.

Had a few questions for current reviewers using Youtube.

Do you ever ask for permissions from publishers and if so do they ever respond?

Do you ever have trouble with copy right on older games say 5-10+ years old?

Are there any publishers I should avoid like the plague? I've heard bad things about Sega and Nintendo mostly :P.

Any pointers would be appreciated thanks :).

I have done video let's plays for a lot of games that I do monetize. They tend to be much older games and have never had an issue. Some game developers strictly state that it is perfectly fine to do so. Others, not so much. Sega was very tight on people doing videos about the Shining series back in the day, and I don't know if that is still prevalent.

Most of the time what happens is that you no longer can monetize the video and the ad revenue goes towards the publisher if they decide to do that. If you are doing this through Youtube, you are always able to petition to them and the claim will be under review. A lot of times, these problems come up by machines that find videos and auto-flag them of copyright infraction. When you petition it, that flag usually is removed as long as you are talking through it.

If you are just doing clips via review, you should have ZERO problem. Let's Plays are much more of a gray area.

If you are not monetizing, I have never heard of a video being flagged since no money is being made from it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 am

I've heard that a big problem is videos getting flagged because they feature cutscenes. Cutscenes are always the same so if they're already uploaded to the 'archive' for copyright checking, it's going to get picked up pretty quickly by the software. However, I've only ever heard of this with latest-gen games. I don't think the developers/publishers would bother with the older games.

Out of the 30-40 retro gaming videos I have on my channel, the only one that has a copyright notice is a review for Gradius III on the Super Famicom. It picked up the Konami logo at the beginning :? Suffice to say, I haven't done anything Konami related since.
Retro Game On << Please check out my retro gaming blog. Includes reviews, news, articles, videos and just plain awesomeness.

Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.

Breaking Into The Industry <<Also my development blog (with video game related posts)
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Looks like Nintendo is going to be touchy no strike but they did flag me for music :P.

Was practicing some recording on Mario Kart during the last Wii Online Meetup club and the music got flagged two days after the upload.

They have a "remove song" option which is in beta right now. Was expecting it to strip all audio but it just strips the music which is interesting.

It was an unlisted video which I was going to delete anyways so it's nothing big but I guess I'll have to watch for music in Nintendo games for sure.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:52 pm

I know this is old, but...

and I know this is pretty lame considering we're all retro enthusiasts, but it seems like the biggest companies to avoid are... sigh... Nintendo and Sega.

Nintendo has gotten big news for how they deal with YouTubers, but let's not forget how Sega got tons of videos deleted and even channels banned for Shining Force footage of all things.

So, yeah... I'd avoid making videos of either of those companies' games for as long as I could. Only the big dogs who have a substantial following can deal with punishments those guys deal out.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:25 pm

The rumor is the reason Sega got pissy about the Shining Force videos is that if people saw them they'd realize just how terrible every recent US Shining game has been.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

by Metal Jesus Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:24 pm

It's important to keep in mind the idea of Fair Use, which means you are doing something transformative to the original media. A review is Fair Use, and I typically only include gameplay that is 15~30 seconds long before making a cut. And honestly, that is the perfect length most of the time.

Let's Plays and Cut Scenes are probably not Fair Use...at least in the traditional sense, and that is why they get flagged.

Also i typically turn off ALL the music in the games I capture just in case that triggers an auto-match when uploading. Hope that helps!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:47 pm

MrPopo wrote:The rumor is the reason Sega got pissy about the Shining Force videos is that if people saw them they'd realize just how terrible every recent US Shining game has been.

Shouldn't they start with Sonic if that's the case?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:50 pm

MrPopo wrote:The rumor is the reason Sega got pissy about the Shining Force videos is that if people saw them they'd realize just how terrible every recent US Shining game has been.

My understanding was that Sega was attempting to manipulate Google results by getting rid of top result videos that weren't their own videos when searching for the latest Shining games.

Also, to Metal Jesus - what would you do if you are making a review and you want to highlight the music as being one of the only positive aspects in an otherwise subpar game? The review I'm specifically doing with this scenario is an older game and the makers don't seem particularly involved in gaming anymore so I'm not particularly worried, but just wondering.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 am

BRIK wrote:I've heard that a big problem is videos getting flagged because they feature cutscenes. Cutscenes are always the same so if they're already uploaded to the 'archive' for copyright checking, it's going to get picked up pretty quickly by the software. However, I've only ever heard of this with latest-gen games. I don't think the developers/publishers would bother with the older games.

Out of the 30-40 retro gaming videos I have on my channel, the only one that has a copyright notice is a review for Gradius III on the Super Famicom. It picked up the Konami logo at the beginning :? Suffice to say, I haven't done anything Konami related since.

I guess since this post has been bumped, I should mention that my review of Metal Gear Solid got flagged because of a cutscene. So much for not doing anything Konami again... or for that matter not worrying about cutscenes in old games being picked up =/
Retro Game On << Please check out my retro gaming blog. Includes reviews, news, articles, videos and just plain awesomeness.

Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.

Breaking Into The Industry <<Also my development blog (with video game related posts)
Return to Game Reviews