Review: Nintendo Wii Mini

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Review: Nintendo Wii Mini

Post by casterofdreams »

Frag Mortuus wrote:I may have to check this out. Also, the fact that you brought up needed redundant hardware to ensure we can play our game library for decades is actually something that has popped into my head lately. I'm definitely going to purchase extra systems (new if possible) as the prices of the (current/last gen) starts to fall. I would love to have at least one of each system I own brand new waiting in the box for my current one to fail. Some people may think that's a waste, but I like the peace of mind of knowing I will be able to play my games if I want.

I definitely do this. I picked up extra DS Lites for the DS and GBA so it killed two birds right there. I also got the Xbox 360 Racing bundle with a game and an accessory I didn't have but didn't wait for the prices to drop. I got that full price at $300 but I felt it was worth it.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

Last edited by ejamer on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

I bought an original model Wii for the sole fact that it was a 2 for one deal. I got to play my Wii games and I got the support of Gamecube games at Component quality at a much cheaper price than buying GC component cables. That is what turned me off about the Wii Mini, it didn't support my main reason for owning a Wii. Even though I bought the Wii for the GC support, I have built a giant library of absolutely great games for the Wii console.
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ejamer wrote:Shame about the downgraded video output. I'm ok with all of the other cut features - for a backup console I'm not concerned about features like internet, SD support, or backwards compatibility - but limiting the video makes this a tough sell for me.

Maybe if someone posts a mod I'll grab one. Not going to buy unless that happens first, because I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about having a TV that will accept old inputs in the future.

Composite only sucks for sure, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm sure adding component output is possible.

No SD card slot though, that's a deal breaker for me. With the cheap price tag, I think I would have already picked one up as a backup Wii. But without the SD card slot, isn't it impossible to transfer my save game data to it? If my Wii dies one day and I need to switch to a backup console, I need to be able to transfer my save data to it.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Of course. SD slot or Nintendo repair service are the only two official ways to move or backup Wii saves. Without one or the other, files are permanently locked to one console, and must be deleted if you own more games than storage allows.

Then again the scenario is years old news. Same thing happens to those who have no cartridge for Saturn. :lol:
Lum fan.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Ziggy587 wrote:No SD card slot though, that's a deal breaker for me. With the cheap price tag, I think I would have already picked one up as a backup Wii. But without the SD card slot, isn't it impossible to transfer my save game data to it? If my Wii dies one day and I need to switch to a backup console, I need to be able to transfer my save data to it.

In all reality, how often has this ever been an issue? In my decades of gaming before data transfer was possible, I never once ran into a situation where my console died while I still had any commitment to the game data associated with it.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Doubt ill ever get a Wii Mini, especially if it has no Component out, but that's ok, i have my Red 25th anniversary Wii and now Wii U for playing Wii games.

But as far as getting backup hardware other than for Wii, i have a Original DS, DS Lite, and two 3DS XL's, id like to get my hands on a DSi XL yet.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Flake wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:No SD card slot though, that's a deal breaker for me. With the cheap price tag, I think I would have already picked one up as a backup Wii. But without the SD card slot, isn't it impossible to transfer my save game data to it? If my Wii dies one day and I need to switch to a backup console, I need to be able to transfer my save data to it.

In all reality, how often has this ever been an issue? In my decades of gaming before data transfer was possible, I never once ran into a situation where my console died while I still had any commitment to the game data associated with it.

It's always an issue. I never wanna lose my save files. I'll admit, some of them are trophies. A game that was already beaten but I spent hours and hours after that to get 100%. Or some games that have a date stamp on save files. It's nice to boot up a game after a while and look at the save files and think, "Wow, I haven't played this game since 2006," or such and such date.

It was less of a problem back when saves were stored on carts. At least each save file is kept with the game it belongs to. If you lose one, you only lose that ONE. Now that save files are all kept on the same storage medium (memory card, now internal system memory) it's more important. You wont just lose one save file, you'll lose them all.

There also likely wont be a way to hack the Wii Mini, so how will I play my WiiWare exclusives if my Wii goes down?

I like the way the Wii Mini looks, and I like that it has a top loading drive. It's no secret that top loading drives last a lot longer than front loading drives. If it had component output and an SD card slot, it'd be a no-brainer for me to pick one up and keep as a backup. But my better option would be to get a GCN compatible Wii as a backup. I'm never gonna buy component cables for my GCN, so there's that. And if my Wii ever goes down, I could transfer all my saves to the backup Wii. I could even hack it and keep all my VC and WiiWare games too.
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

It has a usb port. Maybe it could be hacked to jack into it that way.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Purkeynator wrote:It has a usb port. Maybe it could be hacked to jack into it that way.

Like the Twilight Princess hack?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?