SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ziggy bringing the heat as usual, thanks for the great comment

That's gotta be the only video game at that point (SNES or otherwise) that explains how to record footage in the manual. I had no idea it said that! I've been spoiled by modern capture stuff, I forgot you could rig a VCR to record stuff.

But then we took it a step further and started to make "movies." Using the pause function on the VCR while recording, we'd link up several animation clips, still shots with speech bubbles, with music to form a story.

Okay now you've made me mega-jealous because I totally would've done that as a kid had I thought of it. You should put that stuff online
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNESdrunk wrote:Ziggy bringing the heat as usual, thanks for the great comment

That's gotta be the only video game at that point (SNES or otherwise) that explains how to record footage in the manual. I had no idea it said that! I've been spoiled by modern capture stuff, I forgot you could rig a VCR to record stuff.

Yeah, I guess Nintendo had the foresight to know that people would hate not being able to save their awesome doodles and stuff, so they came up with that idea.

Okay now you've made me mega-jealous because I totally would've done that as a kid had I thought of it. You should put that stuff online

:lol: I've watched them in my adult life, and I can tell you, they're absolutely terrible. But they're the kind of terrible, when you know a kid made it, they're pretty humorous.

I've been meaning to get some hardware so that I can transfer VHS tapes (I have a bunch of other tapes I really should transfer before it's too late).
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Friday, November 27, 2015 - Donkey Kong Country series
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

SNESdrunk wrote:Friday, November 27, 2015 - Donkey Kong Country series

I was pleasantly surprised (well not really, I've come to expect sincere retrospectives from your channel) to hear your comments on the original DKC's level design and momentum issues.

I always thought it was pretty janky but being a "Sega guy" any complaints I've had have always been dismissed out of hand even though I've tried hard to love the game, still own it today and think DKC2 is a great game regardless of my personal distaste for the series digitized art style (and those goddamned animal segments).

Like you said, DKC is a perfectly good and it was a stroke of marketing brilliance by Nintendo as one of the last shots fired in the 16-bit war, but it doesn't meet the standard of its hype and its sequel blows it out of the water.

It's not like that's a slight against the series or anything. Look at Mega Man and Sonic, both with well loved first games that are really rough around the edges when put under scrutiny.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNESdrunk wrote:Friday, November 27, 2015 - Donkey Kong Country series

I went into this video expecting to be disagreeing with you on a lot of things, but to my surprise, I agree with you on almost everything.

I completely agree with the way you ordered the games: 2, 3 and 1. The first game definitely has some minor problems when compared to the sequels. Level design isn't as good, some hidden areas require guess work and leaps of faith, the boss battles are simple, and a general lack of content compared to the sequels.

However, this is to be expected. I feel it's worth noting, but not worth dwelling on. To be fair, you did mention several times that, despite all the bad things you had to say about the first game, that it's still a fair game. It's just that I find it odd that so many people will say this about DKC1, but not about (for example) Super Mario Bros 1. The first SMB game is in the same boat as DKC1 as far as the sequels go (SMB3 and World). Yet I've never heard anyone complain about SMB1's level design and boss battles when compared to its sequels. It's almost unfair to compare the first game in a series to its sequels. OF COURSE the sequels are better, there would be a problem if they weren't.

Pretty much everything you mentioned that's "off" with DKC3, you're right in line with a lot of people. I never had a problem with it, personally. Maybe it's because I was one of the few people that actually played DKC3 back when it first came out, maybe I never really looked at it objectively enough? Levels like Poisonous Pipeline, I never thought, "This stupid game! They've gone too far!" I thought, "Wow, this is kinda hard. OK, let's do this!" I'm glad you mentioned the more open design of the over world map. That's probably my favorite part of DKC3.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ziggy587 wrote:Levels like Poisonous Pipeline, I never thought, "This stupid game! They've gone too far!"

More like, "God forbid if I want to play a side scrolling platformer, instead the game has me feed this stupid fish while balancing a spinning plate and reciting the Magna Carta."

I first played DKC3 a couple years after it came out (after being turned off by N64 and PS1), and I wrote it off entirely at that time as gimmicky nonsense. Revisiting it now, it's way better than I gave it credit for, but that gimmicky crap is still annoying. "Okay, you can beat that level, nice work. BUT, can you... do it backwards while tap-dancing?" No, no I can't.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Gunstar Green wrote:regardless of my personal distaste for the series digitized art style

I've never liked it either, but I tried to stay away from that. The backgrounds however are incredible, especially in the 3rd game.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's just that I find it odd that so many people will say this about DKC1, but not about (for example) Super Mario Bros 1. The first SMB game is in the same boat as DKC1 as far as the sequels go (SMB3 and World). Yet I've never heard anyone complain about SMB1's level design and boss battles when compared to its sequels. It's almost unfair to compare the first game in a series to its sequels. OF COURSE the sequels are better, there would be a problem if they weren't.

I can only guess, but I think the original Super Mario Bros. is in a different situation in that, while not really the first of its kind, it was the standard setter for the genre.

The sequels made improvements but they also made major changes in their style leaving the original Super Mario Bros. with a unique feel. While it's obviously more rudimentary, it still remains its own thing. In the west, Mario also had SMB2 to shake up the status quo. It was more Mario, but not quite the same Mario.

But your'e right, sequels should be better than the original even though they often aren't. The only reason it matters to me in discussion is because I really don't like the first DKC all that much. Then again I like Mega Man 1 and Sonic 1 and I give them crap for their "first" problems. I suppose it's best to just look at a game as a game and not as part of a series.

SNESdrunk wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:regardless of my personal distaste for the series digitized art style

I've never liked it either, but I tried to stay away from that. The backgrounds however are incredible, especially in the 3rd game.

Yes, it's completely subjective so you were right to avoid it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Agree to disagree! I replayed all the DKC games recently and thought they have all aged very well.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 - SNES Pro Wrestling Games