SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Ziggy

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by Ziggy »

Fuck! :x

I typed up a semi-long post with a bunch of links and whatnot. Then I got distracted because I'm at work (how rude!) and when I came back I was logged out and lost my entire post!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ziggy587 wrote:Fuck! :x

I typed up a semi-long post with a bunch of links and whatnot. Then I got distracted because I'm at work (how rude!) and when I came back I was logged out and lost my entire post!

Sorry brah. This is why I highlight and ctrl-c occasionally when I write long posts.

Cool video Drunk. I think I may pick up repros of two of the games mentioned.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Sorry brah. This is why I highlight and ctrl-c occasionally when I write long posts.

Cool video Drunk. I think I may pick up repros of two of the games mentioned.

When I'm at work, I don't tick off the box to stay logged in and that's why that happens. I don't have this problem at home. But I know, I usually Ctrl+C my post if I feel like I've been away too long. I was too distracted this time though.

Anyway, @ SNESdrunk, I have a lot of suggestions / thoughts I can give. I'll post them when I get a chance.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Oh man, I'm really going to enjoy your rom hack series. I was knee deep into that scene ages ago when MetEdit for Metroid was popular, before SMILE for Super existed and things like that. The idea of rom hacks and level editors for Super Metroid and Link to the Past was intoxicating, but... once I finally got my hands on them I didn't have enough patience for it haha. Though there was one editor I liked a lot for Mega Man 2, had fun with that one.

To this day I think Super Mario Bros 3 Challenge is the only full scale rom hack I've completed. I think it was one of the first of its kind, but the difficulty was insane. Though at the time I enjoyed that and just used save states every millisecond.

Nowadays though this is pretty much why I lost interest in rom hacks. It seems like it was always a competition to make the game 100x harder. Some of the Super Metroid hacks in particular are just downright evil, having to master wall jumping to the absolute singlulr pixel point, having to perfectly escape a lava zone without the Varia suit by a single health point left, etc and things like that... eh.

Long rant but I'm glad you addressed this in the beginning of the video and seem to have similar thoughts. I'd love to play some rom hacks if they attempt to capture the spirit of the original games or feel like authentic sequels.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hey Drunk, you should make a video about downloadable SNES games. Radical Dreamers and so on.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

I will definitely get into Satellaview stuff eventually but I still have a few Super Famicom RPG videos I want to crank out before that. Stuff like the Fire Emblem games, Wonder Project J, Dark Law, FEDA: The Emblem of Justice, looooong way to go on all those.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thursday, February 9, 2017 - Final Fantasy Legend II

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - Rushing Beat series
Ack

Post by Ack »

Actually, the purpose of movies like Hard to Kill and Commando is to entertain me. Me specifically.

Also, you left out the unlockable hidden characters in The Peacekeepers...
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thursday, February 16, 2017 - Clash at Demonhead

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - SNES Boxing games

Thursday, February 23, 2017 - Beyond Oasis

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - Best Super Nintendo ROMhacks, Part 2

Hey Ziggy, the only stuff I'm really playing so far for Part 3 is CT Prophet's Guile, Super Metroid Redesign (don't know why I'm just getting to this now, oh well), and Vector the Crocodile in Sonic. So if you've got any suggestions you can throw in addition to that, that'd be cool. Any help would be appreciated!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNESdrunk wrote:Hey Ziggy, the only stuff I'm really playing so far for Part 3 is CT Prophet's Guile, Super Metroid Redesign (don't know why I'm just getting to this now, oh well), and Vector the Crocodile in Sonic. So if you've got any suggestions you can throw in addition to that, that'd be cool. Any help would be appreciated!

Sorry man, I totally didn't mean to blow you off after losing that post (but I guess I did).

I would definitely mention LoZ Ancient Stone Tablets, as anyone who enjoyed LttP should play it. What's interesting is that it's basically an officially sanctioned hack of LttP, and then fan hacks to get it playable (without the Satellaview system).

There's a boss rush version that a hacker made for DKC1 and DKC2. Very well done if you ask me.

Yeah, there's a zillion SMW hacks, but here's a few that are worth looking at. This one recreates SMB2 (USA) using the SMW engine. Similarly, this one recreates the levels from SMB The Lost Levels, as well as does its own thing. And this one does SMB1.

Looks like you're only focusing on "total conversion" ROM hacks. Any interest in covering hacks that aren't total conversions? There's many other types of hacks. There's bug fixing (AKA unofficial patches), add-on mods (adding features to the game without changing the core game), visual improvements, decensoring, etc. Examples given aren't all SNES games, it's just that I'm at work right now so I'm coming up with examples off the top of my head.

One thing I think you should bring up is the possibility for hacks to create problems when the game is being played on real hardware. With flash carts as available as they are today, many of us are looking to use these patches on real hardware. For this reason, as well as more accurate emulation being available, this is becoming less of a problem. Still, I've come across a few more recent hacks that were unplayable on a flash cart. This is usually more of a concern with total conversions versus minor hacks, but it's always a concern.

For example, this hack looks awesome. And from the little I played, it was awesome. But it kept locking up when I was playing on a flash cart.

I know I've posted a few in this thread: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 12&start=0