SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by strangenova »

SNESdrunk wrote:Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - Blackthorne

I loved this game and flashback. I was happy to see you give it a favorable review.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

strangenova wrote:

I loved this game and flashback. I was happy to see you give it a favorable review.

The responses have been all over, it's pretty interesting. Here's one:

"I played it for a while in my long gone SNES days and... just couldn't have much fun with it. It's clunky mechanics and slow pace were just too much, slow gameplay I can handle, but being clunky on top of it made it unplayable to me. The timing on those running jumps is waaaaay too bloody annoying unforgiving."
Ack

Post by Ack »

SNESdrunk wrote:
strangenova wrote:

The responses have been all over, it's pretty interesting. Here's one:

"I played it for a while in my long gone SNES days and... just couldn't have much fun with it. It's clunky mechanics and slow pace were just too much, slow gameplay I can handle, but being clunky on top of it made it unplayable to me. The timing on those running jumps is waaaaay too bloody annoying unforgiving."

But that's the beauty of talking about it. Now a lot of these folks will take a second look or now have the info to make an informed decision on it. You provided a valuable service, chief.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Ack wrote:But that's the beauty of talking about it. Now a lot of these folks will take a second look or now have the info to make an informed decision on it. You provided a valuable service, chief.

Hey thanks, I actually put this video in particular off for several months, I just couldn't get into this game. But I've come around on it
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I need to try this one out again. I dug the little I played and I'm a huge fan of Another World and Flashback. I think playing this just makes me want to play Flashback instead though. :lol:
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thursday, November 19, 2015 - Rush'n Attack
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It's a game about a guy dropped into enemy territory to take on an entire enemy army single handed, armed with nothing but a knife. It's not even a special knife it's just a knife. It's gloriously absurd.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Tuesday, November 24, 2016 - Mario Paint
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thursday, November 26, 2015 - EarthBound
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNESdrunk wrote:Tuesday, November 24, 2016 - Mario Paint

You said, "There's no way to export your work out of the game and onto a computer."
All you need is a video capture device, which you can get pretty cheap these days.

But as you pointed out earlier in the video, Mario Paint was relevant during a time when IF you had a computer it was Win 3.1 or some such thing. As such, of course there was no SNES USB link cable or SD card slot. What it DID have though, is all it could have at the time. Check out pages 30 and 31 of the manual...

My brother and I played TONS of Mario Paint back when. When we found this in the manual, we started to record drawings, short animations, and songs. But then we took it a step further and started to make "movies." Using the pause function on the VCR while recording, we'd link up several animation clips, still shots with speech bubbles, with music to form a story. Then we took it a step further and started mixing other game footage in. Mario had to race to get some where, so he hoped in his kart (Mario Kart footage), and another one where he got help from Star Fox. I know I still have the tapes somewhere. I should really transfer them to digital before it's too late.

Mario Paint might have become outdated, especially by what we have today, but show me ANY other video game or computer software that bundles MS Paint, a music composer, a stamp maker, an animation thing, a Gnat Swatter mini game, and presented with the kind of charm that every Nintendo game has.

Apparently the Mario Paint cart had 256kb of SRAM, which I believe was the biggest size that you'd find in a SNES cart (not sure if there were technical limits, or larger SRAM was too expensive, or what). Apparently 256kb was only enough to save ONE picture.

No mention of Mario Paint Composer for PC? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMp8iepyb0

If you search YouTube for "Mario Paint Composer," an endless amount of songs will come up.