SNESdrunk reviews

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thursday, February 19, 2015 - Excitebike
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ziggy587 wrote:Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka

I've been playing this game the past few days, further in the game than I've ever played before. So just to expand on what I said a little...

You start off with two characters. There's a 2-player option on the start screen, so that was natural. But along the way, you pick up to more characters. For a second I got excited and thought there might be a multi tap option for 4 players, but there isn't a 3 or 4 player option on the title screen, so probably not.

What you CAN do though is switch between the four characters at will. Press select during game play to instantly switch between characters. I'm playing single player, and I can switch between all four. I suspect that if you're playing 2-player, one person can choose between to characters and the other person can choose between the other two characters. Each character has slightly different moves.

This is the kind of beat em up where you can do different moves depending on what button combination you're pressing. I'm constantly finding new things I didn't know I could do. For example, if you press an attach while blocking you do this cool launching attach thing. I mentioned you can stomp people while they're down. But you can also get on top them and punch their face multiple times. Doing these kind of moves makes it feel like a real street fight, and it really adds to the charm of the game (there's humor in the dialog that fits the fighting style).

You know how in most beat em ups, you knock a guy down and he lays on the ground for a while but you can't attack him? Well, I always thought that was bullshit! :lol:

I always liked the blocking in Super Double Dragon. Most beat em ups, you're just mashing the attack button. And not that there's anything wrong with that - there's plenty of beat em ups without blocking that I love to play. But with blocking, I feel like it adds more strategy and I'm not just mashing a button throughout the entire game.

I've reached a level where you're on a motorcycle speeding down the highway. Baddies on bikes are coming up on your and you can kick them off their bikes. So, yeah, they threw in a Road Rash level. :lol:

I can't wait to see what else this game has.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SNESdrunk wrote:Thursday, February 19, 2015 - Excitebike

Excitebike is one game that I've been meaning to spend more time with. I never played it back when, so I have no attachment to it in that respect. I picked up a cart a year or two ago, but only played it for ~10 minutes.

Hmm, you can build your own tracks? Maybe I've heard that before and completely forgot about it. That's definitely a rare thing for such an old game. And yes, too bad you couldn't save a track that you built, or multiple custom tracks. The PowerPak and N8 flash carts support save states on certain mappers. If the mapper Excitebike is supported, you could at least hold onto your tracks that way. Better then nothing.

The Excitebike DLC track in Mario Kart 8 was awesome though. :lol:
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I've heard so many times in my life, "I don't really like sports games... except NBA Jam." It's just a fast and fun arcade game first and foremost.

I like it so much I even have the 32X version, which has a sweet 3D floor and that's about the only difference. :lol:
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Why does everyone talk about NBA Jam, NBA Hangtime is so much more fun imo. Also why is the PS1 version of NBA Hangtime so hard to find?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have a box of "junk" SNES carts, mostly sports games, that I don't really consider part of my collection. I know I have at least two copies of NBA Jam in there, and I've been meaning to take one out and clean it up for a while now. Again, one of your videos have inspired me. I think I'll go do that right now! :D

edit: Ever think about doing a SNES hockey video? Kinda like the one you did for football, only with hockey games instead. Don't take this as a serious suggestion, but I wouldn't mind watching such a video.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Not posted here yet due to the server moving issues:

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 - Super Nintendo Games That Should Get Modern Remakes/Sequels

I'm with you on Vortex. I want to really love that game but it's held back by clunky controls and lack of personality. There are some things with it I like more than Star Fox but in the end it's just not as good.

As for some SNES games I'd like to see with a modern remake:

Hagane: It's too obscure to ever happen but there can never be enough side scrolling robot ninjas in the world. Never.

Sunset Riders: Yeah it's not a SNES exclusive but come on, even as a Genesis guy I can admit the SNES was where this game was most at home. It's is almost universally loved yet ended up being a one-off. Give it to WayForward for the Contra 4 treatment or something. Come on Konami, what are you waiting for?
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Gunstar Green wrote:Not posted here yet due to the server moving issues:

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 - Super Nintendo Games That Should Get Modern Remakes/Sequels

I'm with you on Vortex. I want to really love that game but it's held back by clunky controls and lack of personality. There are some things with it I like more than Star Fox but in the end it's just not as good.

As for some SNES games I'd like to see with a modern remake:

Hagane: It's too obscure to ever happen but there can never be enough side scrolling robot ninjas in the world. Never.

Sunset Riders: Yeah it's not a SNES exclusive but come on, even as a Genesis guy I can admit the SNES was where this game was most at home. It's is almost universally loved yet ended up being a one-off. Give it to WayForward for the Contra 4 treatment or something. Come on Konami, what are you waiting for?

Thanks for doing that! Sunset Riders is a good one, I have to do a video of that game on its own...
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Thursday, March 5, 2015 - Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures