Megaman 2 vs. 3

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
CartridgeBros

Megaman 2 vs. 3

Post by CartridgeBros »

Hey guys, we're new to the gaming community and wanted to know your opinion on which is better Megaman 2 or 3? We made a video on our thoughts about the Blue Bomber and the link is below. Love to hear some feedback.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGSteoOLIc
"It's a secret to everyone."
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Megaman 2 vs. 3

Post by Xeogred »

2 set the standard, 3 was bigger and better. The slide, and the man.

I've pretty much always preferred 3 if just by a hair. After that it's hard to say, they got lazier, but 5-6 were incredible graphically.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I go in order with 1 the best and 6 the least best. I am certain that I am the only person who thinks this, though. At any rate, 1-3 all rank in the top 20, but 4-6 are much further down the list.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

o.pwuaioc wrote:I go in order with 1 the best and 6 the least best. I am certain that I am the only person who thinks this, though. At any rate, 1-3 all rank in the top 20, but 4-6 are much further down the list.

I am actually a really big fan of the original myself, and nearly agree with you, but why would you take the original over 2 or 3?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I think bosses mostly. I like 2's bosses and levels better than 3's, with few exceptions, like Snake Man's level. It's very close, though, since the slide does add oh so much.

I like 2's music better, too. Small points, I think, but they add up to inch 2 ahead of 3.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I like 2 better, if only for the music.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
LBJeff
24-bit

Post by LBJeff »

Two.

Three may be technically superior in a lot of ways but two came along at just the right time in history to cement it's place as best Mega Man ever. Gamers were just getting over Bionic Commando, Blaster Master, Simon's Quest, Contra, Metal Gear, Super Mario Brothers 2 and Zelda 2 in 1988 and were ready for the next big thing.

Two earlier major titles had already landed sequels - Zelda and Mario. Many people remembered Mega Man for it's pretty gnarly difficulty but how really approachable it was. The time was just right for the people that had been honing their skills for the past two years to get another chance at the series that smacked them around the first time they fought. We had improved and were ready this time to tackle it.

It didn't disappoint, either. It took everything that was good about the first one and made it better. More bosses, more weapons, more accessories, more items. Everything was bigger and looked better. It took everything that was wrong with the first game and fixed it - added energy tanks, consolidated the robot masters at the end and gave you energy for each one you beat, took out the pointless hallways after reaching the end of the main stage but before reaching the robot masters, and added a password system. It wasn't easy to beat, but it wasn't hard either. It was fair, sometimes you lost but you always were competitive.

That, and the music was off the chains man.

My wife knows that on my death bed I have headphones in with music from Mega Man 2, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Zelda and the moon level from Duck Tales playing so I have something good to listen to on my way out.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'd probably agree with MM2's music being better than MM3's, but I definitely think MM3's dynamic intro theme is always sadly very overlooked thanks to MM2's stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQgYfyUdDs
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

Post by MyNameIsVince »

I never played the Mega Man games on the NES as a kid, and I've only really played them via emulator as an adult (but only kinda, meaning I only played most of the first 3 of them on emulator), but I have heard the music of the first 3 Megaman games extensively via Youtube, and if I had to rate them via the music, then MM3 is definitely number 1 for me. Gemini Man's theme and Protoman's theme alone is better than anything off of MM2 for me personally. In fact, I'll even go far as to say that I don't think MM2's music is that much better than the music off of MM1. The music off of the original Mega Man is pretty fucking awesome personally.
Raiiban
24-bit

Post by Raiiban »

Megaman 2 wins it for me just based on the fact that I can go through nearly the entire game with the Metal Blade equipped and be able to fire off my weapon in 8 directions. I feel like that's so much more fun than the standard mega buster and makes the game unique in the series.