Street Fighter Alpha 2 Multi console comparison review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter Alpha 2 Multi console comparison review

Post by CD AGES »

For some time now, I've thought about investing in its import counterpart "Zero Fighters Generation" for it's different unlockable content.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Necro-bumping in honor of our recent GOG hidden Gems article.

I think I 1st played the original game on Saturn, but quickly had the opportunity to upgrade to Alpha 2 Gold (from Street Fighter Collection). For both my friend (who had the Saturn) and I, (who got a PS1 before my Saturn), SFA2Gold was the game of choice. Easy secret character access was my main preference, but the other modes are a nice bonus too.

I kind of wish I had also purchased the original for Saturn though (again, as being the version I was introduced to). I remember it being like $20 brand new for quite a long time through online retailers/ebayers. Now it's at least double that for a used copy :shock: .
Cry me a river right? :roll: ; (I own the more expensive of the 2 and have my preference anyways).

In any case, I love the game in all its forms.

I have an Alpha Anthology strategy guide that outlines differences for each character between Alpha 2 and Gold versions (along with a wealth of technical info about the games). It's a fascinating tome for fans of the series, but makes little difference to me in my actual casual-style playing.
...just another lost soul...
Kidpanda
64-bit

Post by Kidpanda »

Interesting side note. Saturn version has transparencies on supers, ( which can be turned off in options), also, when playing character vs character, has all frames of animation during the fight. You can thank Nick Rox for that comparison. If you know who Nick Rox was you get a brownie point with me btw.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I didn't, but I do now :wink: :
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/blueshadows.html

Thanks for the reference, that was interesting.
...just another lost soul...
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Nick Rox, whom I adore - seems to have some difficulty with being reliable on WAHP. I waited patiently for over two years for the now second to last WAHP. Worth the wait! But now it seems we're in for a similar delay. I blame Nick Rox. But I get it - life. Plus Casey keeps having kids I think. At least we've got Shido- I mean Molly.

Back to topic - SFA2 is amazballz but I still think 3 is better. Thanks whomever bumped this! I'm going to have to test these games out in my new KI cab.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Flake

Post by Flake »

This is one of the better Necro Bumps I have seen in awhile.

@Chupon: I definitely agree that SFA3 is the pinnacle of that series but I cannot escape the feeling that it was a bit cluttered and lacked the balance SFA2 had.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

My understanding is the Vism on Alpha 3 just broke the game allowing for almost full life bar damaging combos.

Like many - my friends and I played more SFA3 on PS than any other SF game but we were always casual about it and never bother figuring out how to break the game with infinite combos.

SFA3 is still my favorite. Unlocking Shin-Akuma was super fun. I used to delete my SFA save file from the ghetto PS1 memory card just to see how fast I could re-unlock Shin-Akuma.

Anyways - all the games are magical. Love the SFA series.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Wow! Suprised to see this post back up after so long. Pretty Cool.

These days, I actually help my friend run a poverty lineup of fighters every month at my local venue which include some of my personal favorite SF games, HF, CvS2, 3S, and of course Alpha 2 and 3. Dubbed as "Footsie Frenzy" the last one we did was really exciting as we were lucky to get the Legendary SF veteran Mike Watson to come out and participate in every game in the lineup. I'll see if I can find the stream archive for the event.

I'll honestly never like A3 or over A2, nor will I ever enjoy playing A3. The game doesn't feel like an SF game at its core. It's got to many issues within its mechanics, Retarded V-Ism tech (V-Ism Geif is the most broken shit i've seen in tournament play), Crouch Cancel infinites, ability to build meter simply by whiffing throws, the game penalizing you for using Alpha Counters which are a main feature in this series. Its just not my cup of tea perhaps...
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Found it!

HF starts at 2:00:00
CvS2 5:54:00
A2 6:48:00
A3 7:21:00
3S 7:40:00

http://youtu.be/v9W2lVBJBGQttp://youtu.be/v9W2lVBJBGQ
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

I love the saturn version just because of the controller :)
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05