Street Fighter Alpha 2 Multi console comparison review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter Alpha 2 Multi console comparison review

Post by CD AGES »

Surprised to see the SNES version get so much love and that's cool. I wonder if another 10 years down the road will anyone feel the same about CVS Pro on the PS1. Now that's an even shittier port that had no business being on the platform considering the end result.

(and yet I own a copy :oops: )
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

CD AGES wrote:
I am a proud owner of all of the versions reviewed so I can appreciate your review. I think your pretty much spot on except I still think the import saturn gold version is my favorite. The saturn controller really makes a difference for me too since I don't have that amazing 15th anniversary fight stick.

You mention you perfer the import version of gold... may I ask why you favor it over the US version of the same game on the saturn??? I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking...

I more or less was just going by my gut reaction to each game. I thought Alpha 2 Gold was just the most fun to play, plus I like Cammy as a selectable character. I knew the game was rebalanced but I didn't know about any of the other changes. I own the game in the PS2 Anthology and Saturn Import, Street Fighter Collection.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

On somewhat related news to this thread, It looks like GOG.com has added Alpha 2 to their catalog of games. For 5.99 be sure to grab one of the Greatest (that right GREATEST) entires in the SF series along with few alpha 2 related freebies for your purchase. Here's the trailer!

http://youtu.be/ugIrISWPr2g

Big ups to whoever had the idea to use that awesome Sakura remix track from the official underground VIZ soundtrack for the trailer. Now if you'll excuse me, that hype track has forced me to turn my room upside down to look for that Soundtrack CD :mrgreen:
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

I suppose MAME is by default the best way to play the game (except for the real thing of course) and that's why you didn't include it?...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

suppose MAME is by default the best way to play the game (except for the real thing of course) and that's why you didn't include it?...

Outside of a CPS2 board I suppose so. That and I'm sticking to primarily to retail releases of the game.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I bought the PC version through GOG and it's kind of a disappointment, even though it comes with an awesome remix soundtrack.

It's just the earlier 1998 PC port of the Playstation version. It's not optimized for the PC at all. I wrote a detailed review on gog:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/street_figh ... #reviews=2

Still a great game, but the PS2 Alpha Anthology or an emulator are totally the way to go.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

CD AGES wrote:
Thanks for this comparison. Alpha 2 is my favorite Street Fighter game. I spent hours playing it back in high school at arcades, dominating with Rolento. I thought I was really good, but as time went on I realized that the game is very unbalanced and Rolento has an unfair advantage over pretty much every character.

You're welcome. Yes Rolento is a Beast in this game, but he def does have match ups that are difficult for him. Chun Li springs to mind. She is arguably the most dominant character by a wide margin. She has absolutely no bad match ups against anyone so she can't be counter picked. Her tools give her an edge to just about any given situation and her CC are the most damaging and very deadly.

Doesn't the ps2 version of Alpha 2 not support 240p?

I'm not entirely sure how to determine if it does. I know the game supports Progressive Scan 480p and is compatible with the PS2 HDD.

Use a component cable and model of HDTV you know doesn't accept 240p from component input. (common issue for PS1 games, etc)
Lum fan.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I found out after asking that Alpha Anthology does not in fact support 240p.

Easiest way for me to check 240p is just to look at the scanlines if it's on a CRT. 480i they'll be small and flickery, at 240p they'll be a bit thicker and no flickering at all.

It's kinda a moot point if you're using an HDTV (especially considering SFAA can do 480p), but on a quality CRT set, 240p simply looks better than 480i. It's a very very minor thing I know, but it's the reason I generally prefer the Saturn version of Alpha 2 over the Ps2 version.

240p is honestly preferable to 480i on an HD set too (assuming the set actually accepts the signal), simply because the TV doesn't have to do any deinterlacing.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

It's just the earlier 1998 PC port of the Playstation version. It's not optimized for the PC at all. I wrote a detailed review on gog:

Wow! That's a damn shame. Thanks for that update.

I found out after asking that Alpha Anthology does not in fact support 240p

Awesome. Thanks for that update AppleQueso! I understand you preference on that SAT version of the game if it does display in 240p while AA does not. But its really minor setback to me considering the games pricepoint for the amount of games you get on the disc, but most importantly, some of the best emulation ever used on a game compilation.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

CD AGES wrote:
I found out after asking that Alpha Anthology does not in fact support 240p

Awesome. Thanks for that update AppleQueso! I understand you preference on that SAT version of the game if it does display in 240p while AA does not. But its really minor setback to me considering the games pricepoint for the amount of games you get on the disc, but most importantly, some of the best emulation ever used on a game compilation.

Oh absolutely, I'd probably recommend Alpha Anthology to most people anyway. It's a fantastic compilation.